After violently dragging a passenger from overbooked flight, United Airlines apologizes to everyone else

Absolutely not. We have no idea why that guy was flying, whether he was just going on vacation or heading to his daughter’s wedding or his mother’s funeral. And, more to the point, United didn’t either. If they need to bump people from a flight, that’s unfortunate but understandable; but it is their moral responsibility to find someone who is willing to accept compensation and to compensate them as much as necessary. Their legal responsibilities are not really relevant to the discussion; lots of reprehensible things are legal.

15 Likes

There is a very, very, very tall and yet useful infographic on the issue over on HuffPo:

When will people stand up? seriously why wouldn’t people stand up and say this is wrong? There needs to be a serious beat down on the police state by citizens. Bystanders shouldn’t allow this sort of shit to happen.

3 Likes

I agree that it’s clear that violently dragging people off of planes is not United policy, and the security people are to blame for that. But the wishy-washiness of the apology letter implies that United is okay with their actions. That’s not really acceptable.

9 Likes

Curiously, the UAL stock price seems unaffected by all of this.

http://finance.yahoo.com/quote/UAL?p=UAL

2 Likes

Starting a riot on an airplane doesn’t improve anyone’s situation–least of all the injured victim who needed medical attention. In this particular case, I thinking filming and publicizing was exactly the right thing to do.

12 Likes

It’s not curious. People just don’t give a goddamn.

2 Likes

I’m not saying a riot. Just standing up and saying this is wrong. Stopping it before the man was knocked out. Just enough people peacefully resisting that the “guards” (police?) back the fuck down.

See these videos. People are filming the guy, nobody wants to help him.

6 Likes

Considering the uproar today from people online, here, on twitter, everywhere, I’d suggest you are wrong.

5 Likes

Considering nobody on the flight stepped up, considering the stock price has gone up, considering that nobody cancelled travel plans, I’d suggest you’re putting too much stock into what people say online.

United gets to drop it at the doorstep of the Chicago Police department and call it a day. Not their fault the CPD got too violent, they were horrified too, we all stand in solidarity behind objection of this kind of treatment of passengers on any airline, it’s so awful, tut tut tut.

3 Likes

I believe it has been established that no one else on that plane wanted to miss their flight either.

10 Likes

I guess what I was trying to get it, is simply “what would you do?”. Or “what could you do?”

Anyone involved with security, whether federal, municipal, corporate or rentacop, gets federal protection (49 USC 46503) within an airport. So as yellow as it sounds, I’d contend that attempting to actually do anything is entirely unproductive. Possibly even counter-productive, since any kind of escalation makes the police action look justified (even if they started it).

I realise how hopelessly passive it sounds, but being the best witness you can be is probably the most productive outcome. The good guy always wins on TV, but in today’s modern police state, he just sits bleeding in the cell next to the other good guy.

15 Likes

If a family happens upon a cheap fare and can save a few hundred bucks on a vacation by flying United they probably will.

I will not.

3 Likes

So how much savings are you willing to forego? $500? A thousand? Two thousand dollars?

Asking for a friendly marketing department of a rival airline

3 Likes

It is called “Rule 25 Denied Boarding Compensation” Rule 21 and 24 refer to Rule 25.

Ah, but they need to do so within the bounds of their COC. Agents cannot alter, modify or wave any provisions of the COC.

Then they should be spelled out in the COC. Dead-heading personnel is not uncommon and unforeseeable, yet I do not see even a minor reference to this in the COC. There are plenty of references to other non-revenue passengers.

Not if the action wasn’t within the airline’s stated COC. If they are not complying with their own COC, then that magnifies anything they did afterward.

Those are all the same sort of excuses people make when somebody gets beat up by cops after being pulled over for some trumped-up reason (aka driving while POC)

11 Likes

I said it on the other thread about this to someone who said much the same, and I’ll say it here. If every passenger who booked and PAID failed to turn up, they can fly the damn plane empty. There is NO excuse for overbooking if seats are all paid for.

8 Likes

Escalating to police is also a problem, and blameworthy in this situation.

11 Likes

Well, that was United’s question, and when no one stood up, police beat the shit out of someone who wouldn’t stand up.

[why wouldn’t people] say this is wrong?

Several people did. You can hear them screaming it in the videos.

Bystanders shouldn’t allow this sort of shit to happen.

That’s why they recorded the incident on their phones.

7 Likes

[quote=“MikeKStar, post:78, topic:98660”]
I don’t like the torches and pitchfork crowd looking for vengeance against a corporate boogeyman who perpetrated a social injustice when the focus should be on the security/police who recklessly escalated to violence.[/quote]

16 Likes