After you die, your eyes continue to see for up to five hours

They last longer in cold storage, I believe, but obviously there are limits; I visited a building which housed an eye bank when I was in university, and there were small, portable refrigerated containers in the hallway, all containing eyes. It was a bit creepy,and I say this as someone who was working in an animal dissection lab at the time.

10 Likes

i am not sure i wanted to know this. does this really qualify as a “wonderful thing”?

1 Like

The tagline is now Mostly Wonderful Things. So as long as the wonderful things are in the majority, this site can interleave as much gruesome reality as it likes. Just remember to close your eyes before you die.

1 Like

I think it depends on whether or not you bothered to read down to Appendix B; “We have such sights to show you”.

11 Likes

I mean…in many cases that is exactly what kills you…

8 Likes

Yeah, but I’m not sure how much this matters. In cases of ischemia to the retina, like central retinal artery occlusions, significant, permanent decrease/loss of vision happens pretty quickly.

1 Like

If I die in a half-empty supermarket I am going to be so pissed at the irony. Briefly.

11 Likes

I hope it is in an empty toilet paper aisle - that would be a good death

7 Likes

Dunno, no soft landing. Straight into the open chiller box might be tidier and keep me fresh.

12 Likes

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

8 Likes

This is a real “if a tree falls in a forest” situation. Are the eyes really seeing if there is nobody there?

8 Likes
21 Likes

All this time on a thread about eyes seeing after death and no one has yet posted:

7 Likes

8 Likes
7 Likes

@frauenfelder, is that a painting by you? Good work!

6 Likes

Snakes can bite hours after death, you should never mess with a dead snake, even if decapitated they’ll still getcha

3 Likes

No, that is a caption, not a credit

7 Likes

Eep!

5 Likes

My understanding of biology is that brain tissue consumes vast amounts of oxygen and glucose from the blood, much more than any other tissue in the body. This is why lack of oxygen and hypoglycemia affect the brain much faster than even the eyes. In the training of high-altitude pilots, when they are placed in low-pressure chambers, they lose their mental faculties before noticing any other physiological effects.

Given this, I’m doubtful that their experience with eyes would translate to the brain.

2 Likes