Frankenswine: Pig brains partly revived by scientists 4 hours after pigs were killed

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/17/frankenswine-pig-brains-partl.html

4 Likes

Are we saying the brain cells were dead, and their cellular machinery reanimated?

Or something else?

5 Likes

Today frankenswine, tomorrow Walt Disney throws his head into the ring for the 2020 election.

15 Likes

Do you want zombies, cause this is how you get zombies…

29 Likes

24 Likes

13 Likes

Now lets try it on the GOP.

5 Likes

“Once you wake up the dead, you’ve got a real mess on your hands.”

19 Likes

10 Likes

I heard this in Jessica Walter’s voice.

3 Likes

2 Likes

6 Likes

I’m not sure this qualifies as “reanimation” (whatever that would mean to the scientists involved), but there’s this from their paper’s abstract:

“…restoration of microcirculation and molecular and cellular activity.”

5 Likes

Deep in the bowels of a university’s medical school, a group of students intentionally kill themselves for minutes at a time to experience what lies beyond. This is a fabulous idea for a movie, but unfortunately “Flatliners” represents the second failed attempt to do it justice. It’s not a terrible film, and neither was the original. They’re both frustratingly not terrible: the cast acts the hell out of every moment, struggling to find profundity in situations that are conceived in the most superficial way, often settling for cheap horror movie jolts and “it was only a dream” false alarms, and things wrap up so neatly that the sense of wonder and terror inherent in the story remains largely untapped.

6 Likes

You’re going to love aspic!

3 Likes

I need to get good and drunk to eat that, maybe high as well, might push me toward it…

5 Likes

So this was wrong?

2 Likes

Or similarly:

After you have answered the question “Can we?” with the affirmative, the very next question you ask must be “Should we?”

4 Likes

I admit, my first reaction was :fearful:. Upon further reflection, it hasn’t changed much, but holy shit does this throw a bone for ethicists to chew on. At one time, the line between “alive” and “dead” was pretty clear, and a very one way path. Now, who the hell knows? If 4 hours dead is only “mostly dead,” what do we actually know? (Wow, never noticed that this emoji reflects my hairline remarkably sell!)

Who knew Miracle Max was so prescient?

12 Likes

3 Likes