A pig's brain was revived an hour after it died

Originally published at: A pig's brain was revived an hour after it died - Boing Boing

1 Like

So gonna ask the obvious question here, but wouldn’t a person have significant brain damage after an hour with no oxygen?

4 Likes

I think the intent here was to find a way to preserve brain function for extended periods if the heart stops. I am, however, bothered by the suggestion that the pig passively “died” when it was almost certainly “killed” by the researchers.

2 Likes

How long until he was back on patrol?

24 Likes

That’s the beauty of it, the brains are removed at the start of training, and the piggy need not miss a day of work.

5 Likes

It’s all grunt work anyway.

9 Likes

Or to be less political;

2 Likes

so, the finding is liver may help keep brain alive in event of cardiac arrest.

i’m fucked.

7 Likes

Wait, I don’t think it was about eating liver . . .

If so then I’d def be screwed too.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I’m reminded of the opening chapter of the novel Distress by Greg Egan, where they have developed limited brain-revival technology and police use it on murder victims to get clues about who murdered them, and a science journalist observes one of the interviews.

“All right, he’s dead. Go ahead and talk to him.”

2 Likes

Don’t let Trump know about this.

Didn’t we already discuss this a while ago in some thread or other?

I predict the ability to revive a a patient after death from cardiac arrest will be perfected exactly 5 minutes after I’m buried.

2 Likes

I think that the brain-“gut” connection here is super interesting. That connection is something that we are probably going to keep uncovering all sorts of incredible advances through.

The pig’s torture was a shame.

1 Like

Thanks,
In fact, I came here to post this!

1 Like

Not without fava beans.

2 Likes

i wasn’t talking about eating liver, in fact i love it.
i meant that if hope of brain survival relies on a healthy liver…
I’m fucked.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that! :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Deja Vu all over again?

1 Like