Ageism’s effects & invisibility

5 Likes
5 Likes
10 Likes

The mainstream media keeps pushing the idea that everyone over a certain age is frail or has cognitive issues. Glad to see this report debunk that form of ageism:

ETA: This profile of Julia Louis-Dreyfus’ podcast “Wiser Than Me” is another positive message about aging (at 7:50 mark):

8 Likes

I don’t know if I’m ever gonna get used to Mo Rocca as a serious journalist, tho…

6 Likes

I mean we have made sure that everyone hates each other as much as possible in a community of humans where literally everyone ages.

I’m finding that middle age just means sliding from receiving hate from people who would prefer you die who are older than you into receiving hate from people who prefer you die who are younger than you.

But life is brutal and merciless and death is inevitable. As we age we get closer to it and so many people deal with that with disgust and contempt as if they could stave it off forever with enough human sacrifice.

Whole thing is pathetic. Real sign of the total breakdown of our culture even as we soak up the world’s resources in a greedy glut here in the US too. All the convos I have witnessed or participated in ultimately devolve to “WHO DESERVES TO SUFFER AND DIE MORE, US OR THEM?”

8 Likes

The circle of death.

IMG_4497

5 Likes

Residents said the facility had a history of bed bugs and couldn’t always handle petty disputes between roommates. Some residents recalled a fight last fall between two residents that resulted in one stabbing the other with a knife. According to a DHS description, no staff member was in the facility to aid the injured resident. Another resident dialed emergency services.

DHS informed Bethesda Court that it would not renew its license in March, citing the facility’s “failure to comply with the department’s regulations, gross incompetence, negligence and misconduct in operating the facility(s) and failure to submit an acceptable plan to correct noncompliance items.”

8 Likes
10 Likes

Ran across this a couple of years ago, food for thought, what’s changed and what hasn’t. From 1977.

3 Likes
6 Likes
3 Likes