Ah yes, the short-lived 1950s fad of illuminated tires

Yeah.

The problem with gimmicks like these is that they grow tiring very quickly.

5 Likes

Well, lighted tires might not have become a thing, but tires that produce coloured smoke are available (and not that pricey by the look of it)

13 Likes

I’m sick of the retreaded jokes that wear quickly and need constant pumping up.

8 Likes

That’s wheel unfortunate. Perhaps you’re under too much pressure here, and should try the tube for jokes instead.

10 Likes

6 Likes

If their product page is to be believed; apparently color-coded burnout smoke is a gender signalling mechanism of some sort.

Birth announcements? Dragster mating pheremones?

5 Likes

Thanks, but I need to take a brake. My puns are starting to fall flat.

7 Likes

I just got back from blowing a seal!

TMI?

6 Likes

Whew, for a second there I thought this was going to escalate into a tragic blow out.

5 Likes

LOADING VOICE FILE ATTENBOROUGH.WAV

And here on the race track we see a herd of dragsters commingling near the pit stop.

The herd is likely made up of a variety of males and females. But it is not only us, the viewers, who have difficulty determining the gender of a dragster. Dragsters themselves need to signal their gender to the others in a ritual known as the Burnout.

As luck would have it, a dragster has pulled away from the pack and beginning to start the ritual. The throaty growl pulses. Once. Twice. Three times and now the hind quarters begin to spin furiously. The smoke is beginning to build. The color is not quite discernable yet. The smoke becoming quite voluminous and … tinged… pink?

Oh, yes. Marvelously pink. This is obviously a matriarch looking for a new mate for the season.

All has gone silent for a moment. The rest of the pack begins to split up. Potential suitors are coming over to reply to the invitation

15 Likes

Thank you. Have not had time to read the article. But that still raises questions of how it worked.

daaaaannnnnng.

well, the music in the first one was good, at least :no_mouth:

1 Like

You might want to do so instead of taking the time to ask questions. It’s not a long article.

OOOOOH, Band Name!!!

1 Like

Por nada. You are welcome.

Now I understand what you asked. I was tempted to say it didin´t work, it was just a stunt. But I saw the pictures… My bet is that they found a way, but it was so impractical, that they had to give it up.

1 Like

You know who stopped them from reaching the masses?

The illuminati.

7 Likes

I experimented in making non-black motorcycle tires about a decade ago. The challenge on making them “daily-driver” tires is that in order to keep them clean enough they ended up slick as hell.

I this case the Tenebriati…the real shadow government

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about this. I don’t see any way of keeping the part that actually touches the road clean, but if you had a lot of deep transparent grooves, and slightly tinted the side walls, you could probably make it so that when the tires are spinning they look more or less equally bright all over. A similar idea might work with fluorescent paint.

I like your thinking. Proposed genre?