AI is either going to save us or kill us. Or both

confirmation needed.

confirmation needed.

AI is either going to save us or kill us. Or both

very probable neither.

1 Like

Sure, except most people understand that water is wet. Most people accept news reports that explain why a LLM did something in terms of thinking.

We are still at the “moon is made of green cheese” stage of thinking about LLM’s. Science knows it sure isn’t. Some “regular people” accept that a-romantic notion, but most people still think it is green cheese, or that at least we don’t really know so it could be green cheese.

1 Like

Sure Jan GIF

4 Likes

I don’t think this is a “let’s only concern ourselves about one thing at a time” situations, especially since we don’t yet know how the different potential problems might influence each other.

Poorly-implemented or poorly-regulated AI might well find ways to make our environmental catastrophes even worse, just as poorly implemented AI has found ways to amplify existing social problems like racist hiring practices or misinformation on social media or what have you.

3 Likes

“might”? thats pretty certain a given, isnt it?

2 Likes

AI even as currently implemented is going to be hugely disruptive and we are going to go through a lot of pain as society and governments find a new normal.

This year is a massive year for elections all around the world and AI is going to muddle the waters and increase scepticism and doubt. You might think that you are capable of determining what is real and what is fake, but many people can’t or won’t bother to find that out. I’m not sure it will outright shift the dial, but it will lead to more election deniers.

On the work side, whether you like it or not, many jobs are able to be replaced to one degree or another by AI and this is going to lead to many jobs being lost. You might argue that these jobs were unnecessary anyway but western society is built on people being employed to earn money and pay taxes. If this rapidly changes, can we support a large number of people who have no prospect of getting a job?

And if we do have large amounts of people who don’t work because there are no jobs for them, where does that leave the people who are doing jobs that aren’t replaced by AI or automation?

I’m hopeful that this will bring real change to society in the longer term, with Universal Basic Income and less reliance on people having to do rubbish work just to get by but we will have a lot of pain to get there.

Personally I am just hoping I can get to retirement without being replaced, I am too old to be trying to find another full time job if I become redundant.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.