AI is gradually taking over Taco Bell drive-thrus

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/08/01/ai-is-gradually-taking-over-taco-bell-drive-thrus.html

4 Likes

taco bell is obviously a very slow learner, seeing as at least one other fast food chain has recently dumped drive-thru ai due to its fuckery.

13 Likes

Corporate really will do anything in order to avoid paying a human a living wage…

14 Likes

LOL! I can’t wait to see how the street breaks it!

Baby-limb burritos with spicy bleach sauce, anyone?

8 Likes

I wonder if they are testing in any markets where one of these accents is predominant:

11 Likes

The seven-finger burrito is to die for.

8 Likes

Oh great. Taco Bell has too many things on its menu, so staff are scrambling in preparation already. Dump all those wrong orders on them, and let’s see how they do with no staff.

5 Likes

Came here just for ways to fuck wit dat system.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t it be easier to let customer tap a menu on a touch screen? Like when you go to McDonalds or Wendy’s only the screen would be outside.

3 Likes

I know, right? The only thing is that people are ordering from cars, so that screen needs to be close enough to touch, but that seems far more practical.

1 Like

Obligatory scene from Lethal Weapon 2

3 Likes

I called Budget customer service to change the dates on a rental car. The voice sounded human, but the way she looped back to exactly the same spot when the conversation got off track … had to be AI voice.

4 Likes

In a drive through, given the range of sizes of vehicles? Drive through ATMs are bad enough, it would be an order of magnitude worse

1 Like

:thinking:

:thinking:

3 Likes

The few uses of AI that aren’t morally reprehensible in some way are kind of ruined by the fact that AI doesn’t work. Can society, especially corporations, please just stop pretending we live in the future? There are years of hard work ahead of us to get any of this to a truly functional, useful state, assuming it’s even possible, and forcing broken, glitchy, hallucinating AI garbage on the public and pretending it’s sci-fi magic isn’t getting us there any faster.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.