Airlines and U.S. officials consider screening air travelers for Ebola

[Permalink]

White people are suddenly at risk! Quick, let’s do something about this!

7 Likes

Weaksauce.

2 Likes

6 Likes

Apparently this means we will now be screening travelers who traveled within 2,000 miles of the outbreak in Africa.

1 Like

Rejoice my fellow Boingboingers!

Ebola has arrived to Europe too!!!

HURRAY FOR SPAIN!!!

1 Like

I’m calling it now, mission creep to medical screening across the system, disease theatre, here we come!

Stool sample container salespeople are smiling today.

5 Likes

9 Likes

Aside from the fact that they already do screen for Ebola, I expect it to work the same way that screening for weapons world: billions of dollars spent on screening technology that ultimately doesn’t work but allows travel to a crawl.

9 Likes

On second thought, since white people are at risk, let´s not.

1 Like

Germany’s had two Ebola patients already, both African nationals (Senegalese and Ugandan doctors working with NGOs). The first patient was released from hospital in Hamburg a few days ago.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what’s worse:

That you’re infinitely more likely to die from a preventable cause like heart disease or a car accident than Ebola or a terrorist, and yet that’s where all the panic is directed…

Or that an embarrassing number of politicians are working as hard as they can to keep the working poor uninsured or under-insured so that when the next deadly communicable disease does ravage the country it will kill as many people as possible.

Will government ever get its priorities straight?

2 Likes

One of my pastimes is looking at a current event and trying to figure out what dystopian sci-fi story it foreshadows.

Here I’m thinking Code 46.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.