Alabama prisoners' bodies missing hearts and other organs, say their families

Originally published at: Alabama prisoners' bodies missing hearts and other organs, say their families - Boing Boing

4 Likes

Ah, I finally found the best worst use for the :heart: reaction.

12 Likes

Ugh. Yet another case study for my human trafficking training.

STOP IT, GODDAMN IT!

4 Likes

I feel like Jack Reacher encountered this evil scheme in book 26. Or was that Lucas Davenport? Cripes some people are evil.

4 Likes

For some reason, the wheels of Justice seem to be moving much slower here than in Ohio where they arrested that poor woman for having a miscarriage.

9 Likes

I thought human trafficking only covered live humans not parts of humans. Yet another stomach churning bit of learning.

1 Like

Has nobody read Niven’s “A Gift From Earth?” If you want to get organleggers, this is how you get organleggers!

6 Likes

And they charged the family 10 yuan for the bullet, too!

3 Likes

They use dollars in Alabama…?

3 Likes

Sorry, I got the currencies mixed up. That comes out to about a buck fifty.

2 Likes

Are you saying that a prisoner who died having his organs ripped out for profit is only worth a buck fifty? Are you saying that this kind of dehumanization is okay?

1 Like

No, I was coyly implying that this is the exact kind of thing that the US denounces China for doing. And when push comes to shove, China and the US are a lot more similar than either country wants to admit.

7 Likes

I guess I’m too dense and didn’t find it funny? maybe I’m just sick of the glib way in which some handle the endless dehumanization we all face.

1 Like

I understand that gallows humor isn’t for everyone, but the point is more that this is no better than what goes on in China. If you prefer, I can restate it without the glibness.

3 Likes

I think the OP alludes to your point about the similarities with China with the Previously link at the end. You probably won’t find many people here standing up for any DOC in the U.S. as an example of the right way to do things.

I think that I get where you were going. The family had to cash in retirement savings, pay for an additional autopsy, hire a private investigator, and, in court, go up against the state that was covering up what it did to their loved one’s body after he died too young in the state’s custody. They got nowhere with their efforts. And the state probably sold his organs to get a little extra. Thus charging for the bullet.

I know that explaining a joke is never funny, but explaining this one makes me feel ill.

12 Likes

It’s actually a direct reference to this. It’s just one more step in the neverending spiral of inhumanity in places where the cruelty is the whole point of prison.

Bullet fee - Wikipedia.

9 Likes

Oh. Thanks, I hate it?

I don’t know how relevant it is to this discussion, but Dotson wasn’t executed. I’m not sure what “found dead” may be a euphemism for, but it wasn’t the focus of the story so it probably wasn’t directly involving the DOC. But I could be wrong. I need to check out from this conversation. And try to be grateful that I can.

6 Likes

It’s hard to say if there is serious negligence in handling corpses or organ harvesting going on here. Either way, the situation requires further investigation, preferably by the FBI rather than by Alabama state police. DOC is already covering something up, there’s no reason to believe state police aren’t already helping with the cover up.

11 Likes

Sometimes, it is just flat out inappropriate. :woman_shrugging: I’m all for gallows humor, generally speaking.

2 Likes

Alabama prison officials: we know from experience you can get by just fine without a heart, so no problem!