Alabama refuses to comply with a Federal court order demanding equal representation for Black people

Originally published at: Alabama refuses to comply with a Federal court order demanding equal representation for Black people | Boing Boing

10 Likes

The court will just have to appoint a special master to draw them for Alabama.

Also:

Now, in a ruling Saturday, Leon County Circuit Judge J. Lee Marsh sided with the plaintiffs and against the governor. In his ruling, Judge Marsh wrote, “By dismantling a congressional district that enabled Black voters to elect their candidates of choice under the previous plan, the enacted plan violates the Florida Constitution.” He further said the maps violate the Voting Rights Act.

34 Likes

An historically racist state with an overtly racist legislature majority enacting racist policies to disenfranchise Blacks like they have done for the past 200 years refuses to comply with a Federal court order like they’ve done dozens of times prior?

Surprised Hockey GIF by All-Round Champion

21 Likes

17 Likes

I love that his memorial in DC has him on his horse, with the back end of the horse facing towards the south.

12 Likes

Less a “3rd world shithole” and more a state where the residents are being victimized and disenfranchised by a corrupt legislature desperate to retain their grasp on power.

33 Likes

Horrifyingly regressive social policy isn’t confined to developing nations. It’s possible to be a rich country and still be run by assholes.

34 Likes

A whole lot of great people come from and live in the state. They deserve better than to have the rest of us paint with a broad brush based on the evils of their current representatives.

25 Likes

There’s no need to involve the Army. Have the judges whose order the legislators violated declare those legislators in contempt of court and send federal marshals in to take them into custody. They can work in a conference room in the jail to create a congressional map that satisfies the judges’ order.

19 Likes

simpsons-tap-sign-south

48 Likes

I like your plan.

5 Likes

That memorial better be on one of those car show turntables because that same shit is going on in Wisconsin and Idaho.

12 Likes

Let’s not forget the anti-busing movement in the 70s and 80s… This photo is from Boston…

And more recently…

18 Likes

Wisconsin is also very racist…

1. Wisconsin
> Poverty rate: 31.3% Black, 9.0% white
> Homeownership rate: 25.5% Black, 71.1% white
> Unemployment rate: 10.0% Black, 3.0% white
> Median household income: $31,351 Black, $64,377 white

Wisconsin ranks as the worst state in the country for Black Americans. Due in part to housing discrimination in cities like Madison and Milwaukee, Wisconsin is a highly segregated state, with over 50% of the Black population residing in majority Black neighborhoods. Segregation often fuels racial disparities, and many Black communities in Wisconsin are suffering. Black unemployment in the state stands at 10%, more than triple the 3.0% white jobless rate. Additionally, the typical Black household in the state earns just $31,351 a year, less than half the median income of $64,377 among white households in the state.

Inequalities are not just economic, but also social – particularly with regard to law enforcement and the justice system. Black Wisconsin residents are over 12 times more likely than white residents to be incarcerated in a state of federal correctional facility. Black residents make up over 42% of the state’s prison population and only 6.3% of the overall population.

10 Likes

Why, it’s almost like racism is a national problem that doesn’t stop at the Mason-Dixon line! But that can’t be right? /s

34 Likes

But John Roberts had assured me that Racism Is Over so there’s no further need for the Voting Rights Act!

14 Likes

The representatives did. That’s what gerrymandering is. That’s what this is all about, politicians choosing their voters instead of democracy operating like it should.

16 Likes

Not ALL southerners, that’s who… And there has been a real effort to ensure minority rule down here too. Some of us are doing our level best to save the whole country, despite the ongoing efforts by some to paint us all as backwood, racist hicks.

Spot On Doctor Who GIF by BBC America

Just look at all the BS that the far right is pulling here in GA when their guy is being called to account for his crimes. They are trying to get the woman doing that work removed from her office.

18 Likes

6 Likes

I live in Kenosha, Wisconsin. In the Summer of 2020 I was working as a Census Field Supervisor for the 2020 national census. I would check in with my census takers daily, watching for any issues, hearing stories and bad encounters, that kind of thing. One day I got the biggest test of keeping my cool when dealing with someone reporting to me that I’ve ever had.

The night before a friend had sent me a link to footage of Kenosha cops grabbing people out of a van after blocking them in at a corner gas station. I recognized the location immediately and years later, I still get uneasy as I drive past there. My friend and I were horrified, as we saw the logo on the van that was for a group that brings food to those protesting, especially for anti-racist marches like the ones we were having at the time. (This was after the fires, but before K. Rittenhouse came up and murdered people.)

So imagine my shock the next day when one of my enumerators very proudly related the story to me about how she called in a report of a van meeting that description to the police. I had a few seconds of being stunned and very calmly suggested that this wasn’t really an appropriate topic to be discussing with me. I really wanted to rip her a new one. I was livid. I had to work with her for another six weeks, minimum, and knew that yelling at this fucking Karen of a human would only result in me having problems and would ultimately only convince her that she’d done the right thing, anyway.

I moved to Midwest (Chicago, then SE Wisconsin) after growing up in North Carolina. There’s racism everywhere and there are people that assume just because you’re also white that you must also agree with them and their bigoted views. I think the only real difference is the people in some regions are better at hiding it than others. In the end, that doesn’t really a difference at all.

11 Likes