Alan Moore gave a surprisingly inspiring interview to Russia Today

Just in case… Did you mean? Pop Will Eat Itself - Def Con One (Video) - YouTube

1 Like

Room for one more?

I believe it’s your garden variety orientalism. Supposedly they are dressed as “Persians”.

3 Likes

I wonder if they travelled to the meeting in full fig; or if they had to change in the hall when they got there.

1 Like

They’re still around. You can probably ask. As far as Masons, Elks and whatever they seem to show up dressed, we have a few lodges around these parts not unheard of when I was a bartender to end up serving a couple Masons in full regalia.

4 Likes

Weirdly reminiscent of the Q shaman. Strange confluences.

4 Likes

It’s been a massively influential thing, both in terms of popular culture and conspiracy. A lot of the bits and pieces are drawn from the same sorts of 18th and 19th century tropes about non-European people as your “shaman” sorta junk.

And these groups are just sort of everywhere.

Shriners, of hospital fame, are an order of Masons. The Knights of Columbus and Rotary are both technically “secret societies”. Even your Chamber of Commerce groups come out of the same tradition.

Anti-Masonic conspiracy theory was a major enough runner in the US to form the basis of a political party. It has tie ins to both anti-Immigrant movements and the origins of the civil war.

So it’s less strange than you think. This shit’s just kinda in the wallpaper.

5 Likes

My post never claimed TWP and RT are “the same” and certainly didn’t claim this piece was “good journalism”. It didn’t even mention TWP or TNYT.

My only point was not to write off a piece only on the merits of the outift that published it. You said that it upset you that someone would give their time to “a state propaganda organisation”.

I’m no shill for RT but it’s wise not fall into a trap of thinking a particular news outlet is “the utlimate truth teller” or “the sole perveyor of bullshit” based on their history, agenda, or funder.

Assuming any state-owned outfit (be it RT, Al Jazeera, or BBC for that matter) are completely devoid of some solid journalism is as naive as assuming they’re also devoid of blind spots, potential corruption, pushing the status-quo, or surreptitious agenda.

I’ve seen utter bullshit, blatant corporate advertising, outight propaganda, commitment to pedaling lies “for the public good”, and some insightful analysis from all of the above.

It’s better to critique these pieces on their merits (or lack thereof) rather than their platforms, their funders, and their agendas.

I’m sure that Daily Stormer has some very insightful pieces. /s

There are degrees of bad, and one has to draw the line somewhere.
We can’t spend all day wading through Breitbart and OAN looking for the occasional piece of actual journalism in there.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.