Alarmingly realistic Engine Sound Simulator on the web

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/03/alarmingly-realistic-engine-sound-simulator-on-the-web.html

3 Likes

Ain’t got nothing on this guy:

4 Likes

don’t have windows can’t test it.

1 Like

That reminds me of my I’m A Big Fan alarmingly realistic big fan noise simulator on the web… that I haven’t made yet, but just thought of making.

Coming up with a name for a JS project really is the most satisfying part. I don’t even want to do it anymore.

2 Likes

The low frequency rumble of an idling diesel train engine would be nice to add here, particularly if you can tune cylinders to have slightly different pitches.

1 Like

Ange the Great on YouTube is one of the most amazing engine simulation journeys ever.

I submit:

Also, this is the reason I own a manual. EVs are the future and all that, but nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

1 Like

See also:
https://www.engine-sim.parts/

1 Like

Peter Ustinov told the story in an Interview that, as a child, he imagine d being an automobile for a very long time, thus only making car noises, driving around the house for days and weeks and even years.

He was about the only human being I could tolerate doing that. And I do not tolerate cars making car sounds, ever.

3 Likes
2 Likes

“It was strange how all this came about, actually. There was a curious company, called Riverside, which had made records of engine sounds. It seemed to me there must have been some very perverse people around at the time buying records so they could sit at home and listen to revving noises, but there it was. They had the idea of my trying something, and in order to tempt me, gave me a selection of records of Alfa Romeos farting and so on! Quite honestly, I never played them, because the sound was so unattractive out of its context without the smell and so on.

“Anyway, I agreed, and the whole thing was done in one day and improvised. They had no idea what I was going to do and I, frankly, had no idea either. The Riverside people didn’t really know what they’d got until they put it together. Then it became a sort of cult thing, but rather too late to help them, unfortunately. They went bust.”

1 Like

The record might be far to long for people who trained their attention span to smaller snippets - but if someone split it into viral-length pieces, this might gain some fame even in today’s audiences, with some visuals added.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.