The sound of a screw being dropped into a turbine engine

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/10/the-sound-of-a-screw-being-dro.html

6 Likes

What a lovely sound for such a disastrous event.

37 Likes

That was pretty! I was hoping for, yknow, a spinning turbine. Graaaghzzt!

31 Likes

Indeed, I was thinking of pandemonium not a delightful ring.

11 Likes

Related:

2 Likes

An oldie but a goodie. I could have sworn I’d seen it on BB before.

Anyway, the remix linked in the description is essential listening:

10 Likes

Frankly i could listen to that sound all day :smiley: (as long as i’m not the one fishing it out)

5 Likes

If I was working on engines like this and someone showed me this I would spend all day just dropping screws down there. What a great sound.

Well…I’d spend however long it takes for someone to fire me for dropping screws down there.

10 Likes

Sand blast it, set it up in a science museum, and put a sign next to it encouraging people to drop coins.

Ok, so it might clog up. But then it becomes another science event as you “disassemble the couch” looking for spare change.

6 Likes

Ahh, I knew I had posted about this somewhere before. At last, relief.

4 Likes

I subscribe to that channel. That’s AgentJayZ, who works in a Canadian shop that does maintenance on jet turbine engines (typically older military and gas turbine applications, such as GE J47’s, Orenda CF-100’s etc.)

If you’ve ever wondered how a straight up turbojet engine works down to the tiniest details, it’s a great channel.

And what he means by “you never want to hear that sound” is from the perspective of the maintenance staff who possibly just spent the past 4 days re-assembling the compressor case after replacing all of the several hundred compressor and stator blades (which produce that delightful tinkling sound!). That’s another 4 days to tear it apart, remove the screw, and then 4 days to piece it together again.

If that same screw gets sucked into an operating engine, well, that’s a different sound entirely.

5 Likes

This is what you hear when a metal object is dropped into a fast spinning turbine:

OH, SHIT!!!

7 Likes

Horrible? I love the sound of a penitentiary officer being dropped into a turbine engine!

3 Likes

Oh it’s easy enough to get it out. Just spool up the turbine.

It will come out the back.

I did not expect that sound, it was beautiful, and am I the only one who thought of Plinko from the Price Is Right immediately?

2 Likes

There’s a little of that, you’re right. Huh.

When I first heard it, it reminded me of when I was a child gently stroking the thin metal fins of the air conditioner’s heat (or cold?) exchanger. I was a weird kid who would touch, then eventually beat on EVERYTHING that wasn’t an animal to see what kind of sound it would make. I learned from those thin metal fins that over-touching would either flatten the metal fins OR cut right through the skin on my fingers.

(Turns out I was a drummer)

3 Likes

Ringtone!

2 Likes

reminds me of seeing Einstürzende Neubauten play a live show, which is never a bad thing to remember.

2 Likes

I’d imagine that this is less applicable to older engines(of the sort where you could get away with doing this); but given the subtle effects of various metallurgical witchcraft on sound(as explored by bellmakers, more or less empirically, for centuries), and the rather crazy metallurgy that goes into some engines(exotic high-performance/high-temperature alloys; fabrication of performance critical components as bulk monocrystalline pieces to avoid fracture propagation, that sort of thing); it would not at all surprise me if turbine components offer sound that you simply can’t get anywhere else.

3 Likes

Another sound this makes

1 Like