Engineering screwup turns Golden Gate Bridge into creepy wind siren

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/06/engineering-screwup-turns-gold.html

13 Likes

Appropriate for the times we live in I suppose. :thinking:

The Beetham Tower in Manchester UK does that too.

28 Likes

They got it all wrong. It’s not the bridge.
tenor

6 Likes

I dunno. I think it’s quite a cool addition to the general dystopia.

32 Likes

Barad-dûr sounds lovely this time of year!

15 Likes

It needs tuning. They could turn it into an interactive instrument by raising and lower sections of the improvements remotely. Let people play songs.

21 Likes

Just Pretend it’s a Godspeed! you Black Empower sound installation. Yay SF public art!

10 Likes

Beetham Tower also looks a bit like the Citadel in Half-Life 2.

Welcome to City 17. It’s safer here.

15 Likes

That’s loud (at least in the neighborhoods)? For your sake please never visit the South during the summer. Between the cicadas, grasshoppers, and tree frogs you can barely hear yourself think. It’s just enough to distract you from the humidity…

I will agree that the video shot on the bridge is loud, like you gonna need to fix that loud.

The sound in the neighborhoods reminds me of the video of transmission lines and towers. Although I find the power lines to sound more eerie.

11 Likes

As someone who visits San Fransisco maybe once a year, I DEMAND that this musical and engineering phenom not be changed one iota.

15 Likes

Shortsighted engineers making San Francisco unlivable? Imagine that…

17 Likes

Well…that explains 2020, they turned the golden gate bridge into the horror harp from hell.

11 Likes

Yes, if only every construction project included a five- or six-figure musicological analysis exercise, this super-predictable bloodbath could easily have been avoided.

15 Likes

Was about to post that one. They did some modifications to the tower to tone the noise down thou.

1 Like

Maybe so, but as far as unintentional wind-generated resonance goes it ain’t got nuthin’ on the Tacoma Narrows Bridge:

26 Likes

Nobody noticed until they finished the full length? Is this type of railing novel? What are those white splotches on the handrail?

3 Likes

Yeah, the sound that bridge made was uncanny:

5 Likes

Cool! Coil are releasing their new album posthumously, I see.

11 Likes

I’ll bet that buskers on the waterfront are most displeased by the sonic interference. I sure would be; foghorns were bad enough. Safety hint: don’t climb into a foghorn to escape drizzle and fog.

4 Likes

But the bridge works, right?

And the noise might drive rich folks out of 'Frisco?

I’m…not seeing a problem. Unless it’s structurally unstable in which case the state needs to up it’s in fracture investments…

4 Likes