Study: wind turbine noise annoying

[Permalink]

I, myself, have noted the same problem with automobile traffic.

Clearly we need to rip out all the wind turbines, and also all the roads that lead to anywhere humans may live or work.

This plague of annoying sound* must be stopped!

*obviously this includes TV news and rap music, as well as cars and windmills

8 Likes

God forbid anyone lives anywhere near the sea, a boatyard, or a windy area with trees!

Silence the sea! Cull the gulls! Stop that mainsail clanging! Break the branches off!

WE MUST HAVE SILENCE (apart from what we’re used to… all that noise is ok)

8 Likes

I haven’t heard wind turbines, but I have been incapacitated by backup beepers, sirens, and machines that go beep. Nothing like having to curl up in agony partway across the street because of someone’s ill-considered idea of a safety device.

I just think that if people are honestly concerned about noise pollution, then they ought to start with the mosquito device, and machines that unneccessarily go beep, and on finding alternatives to backup beepers, and on finding alternatives to sirens, etc. instead of … silencing alternatives to fossil fuels.

4 Likes

The most annoying sound is the constant whine coming from some people when wind turbines are mentioned. A little duct tape should fix that though.

17 Likes

What about machines that go “Ping!”?

1 Like

I know you raise this a lot - I don’t know how you cope with the list of problems you have, you have my sympathy -but what form of warning system isn’t going to impact on people with severe sensory issues? Is there a solution? Sirens have to be loud and piercing to do their jobs.

4 Likes

When my girlfriend “forgets” to put her phone on silent at night…

To get an idea of the noise, check out this video and skip to 6:39. It sounded relaxing to me at first, but the steady rhythmic sound could probably start to feel like Chinese water torture after awhile. Car horns and traffic can be annoying, but at least those sounds don’t happen at a consistent steady rate. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk5zMxYVca0

3 Likes

Coal smoke has also been proven to be annoying to one or two dead people.

4 Likes

I don’t know.

I do know that a warning system which incapacitates people is not a safety system.

I do know that backup beepers are loud enough to cause hearing damage. So people who are around them at work ever day are likely to develop either deafness [which means they don’t warn], hearing loss and loudness recruitment [which means they don’t warn below a certain volume, and do incapaciate above a certain volume], or hyperacusis [which means they do incapacitate].

I do know that backup beepers use pure tones, whatever those are, and apparently could work better without pure tones, but that anyone who modifies them risks liability.

4 Likes

I grew up less than a block from the four-track rail line leading to Pittsburgh, and those coal and iron oar trains rattled the windows several times an hour. Nobody ever complained. Later I had an apartment across the street from the fire station, and for the first couple nights the sirens woke me up, but I soon started sleeping through that. But as a result I also slept through a mattress fire in the next apartment and the ladder truck on the lawn under my window.

In some case the folks complaining about turbine noise are just angling to get the utility company to buy them new triple glazed windows.

3 Likes

I think that sounds like white noise. Yeah, the rhythm is annoying, but the rattle of a air filter is annoying too. Is that going to cause disorientation, pain, etc.? Not unless it’s ridiculously loud.

2 Likes

I have been known to use an online white noise generator to drown out noisy colleagues :smile:

2 Likes

I lived in an apartment in Arizona for a year that had an AC unit which was co stantly 60-65 decibels. All the units were like that, and they were all studios. I wore earplugs to bed, but would take them out after a few hours since they hurt.

Noise pollution is a serious pain, but give me “whoomp whoomp” at 45-50 db versus the grind of a compressor any day.

5 Likes

Depends on the street, really. When the traffic’s at a standstill ten feet from my front door during morning rush hour, the sound of two dozen idling gas engines is pretty consistent and steady.

A benefit of consistent rhythmic noise is that noise-canceling devices work great for them. Maybe the people who can’t stand windmill noise should just get a pair of cheap noise-canceling headphones?

2 Likes

Conveniently for the petrochemical industry, dead people don’t complain much. And the live victims tend to be drowned out by the noises lobbyists and astroturfers make.

2 Likes

I am sure safety engineers could work out the options better, but for backup beepers:

(1) apparently the pure tone, whatever that is, is uniquely bad and other tones would be more hearable without being more painful or damaging.

(2) presumably a red light, oriented to shine behind the vehicle, could warn people, unless they’re blind.

(3) I wouldn’t suggest a flashing light, because that poses the same kinds of problems as the beep, but a combination of a steady red light and a moderate sound might work.

2 Likes

Between the “concerns” about windpower bird-kills – which can be minimized and are in any case far lower per kilowatt than bird-kills from oil/coal/gas power – and the “concerns” about supposed health effects around wind turbines – which pale so much in comparison that it’s not clear whether they even exist – I’m wondering what the next “concern” will be.

“Next on Fox News: How much damage has been done by violent weather spawned by wind farms?”

6 Likes

The next concerns are mountain lions, solar panels, and birdemic.

2 Likes