Watch: Golden Gate Bridge "howling" during storm

Originally published at: Watch: Golden Gate Bridge "howling" during storm | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Better Howling Henry than Galloping Gertie.

21 Likes

A haunted bridge? What’s not to like?

12 Likes

That’s Godzilla’s mating call.

10 Likes

Yeah, that’s not spooky at all…

I half expect a Simon Stålenhag vista to loom from the mist.

15 Likes

Screams of the dead who have jumped since the city delayed the prevention barrier? Is it up yet? Is this what they are complaining about?

9 Likes

Pretty much the perfect soundtrack for 2021.

15 Likes

I’m surprised the tone is so high. Those cables are pretty big. Infrasound.

6 Likes

SIdewalk railing slats, rather than the main cables.

9 Likes

During the storm yesterday, we could hear a roaring in the Castro, which is in the center of San Francisco. It was ominous and we couldn’t determine if it was the gale winds howling through Sutro Tower on top of Twin Peaks, the Golden Gate Bridge, or both.

It was just… so… strange. Meanwhile, the winds were clocked at 92 mph and Mount Tamalpais (on the other side of the San Francisco Bay from San Francisco) got 17 inches of rain…

9 Likes

San Francisco has been looking for a new one ever since the SFPD seized Ginsberg’s back in 1956.

https://www.foundsf.org/index.php?title=The_Howl_Obscenity_Trial

12 Likes

It just needs a big sign as you get on the bridge:

“The bridge is a giant tuning fork and you’re going to hear some wild tunes on windy days. Enjoy!”

Then it’d become a tourist destination and locals would go back to bitching about traffic.

10 Likes

I think it’s the people who live within earshot of the bridge who have the biggest problem with the noise. The neighborhoods closest to the bridge include some of the most expensive areas of one of the most expensive cities in the country so they probably are the kind of people who are accustomed to having their complaints taken Very Seriously by the municipality.

9 Likes

The world’s largest & most expensive Aeolian Harp.
Here’s a smaller & cheaper one:

6 Likes

Yikes! I wish you some less exciting weather going forward.

Wonderful; this just keeps on getting better. :joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

Drive a few miles down the coast on Highway 1 and you can see something similar:

4 Likes

Maybe the folks in Tiburon can just operate their living room boat lifts to help mitigate the bridge sound.

3 Likes

The tuner on my phone says this is F#. FWIW.

5 Likes

Folks, we desperately needed that :cloud_with_rain:. I am grateful and so are we all.

6 Likes

Us locals have never stopped complaining about the traffic… We paused early in the pandemic, but that’s all… :laughing:

4 Likes