What is the weird sound driving Brooklyn residents crazy for over a year?

Originally published at: What is the weird sound driving Brooklyn residents crazy for over a year? | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I’m assuming they’re hearing their neighbors having the time of their lives

2 Likes

Are they listening to themselves again?

6 Likes

Probably my brother’s Band demo tape…

7 Likes

So, when the built the new theater/ auditorium at my college, part of the grand opening was to use a feedback loop to “hear” the resonance frequency of the space. This sounded a lot like that, at first blush.
So, sound bouncing off the buildings, and some get reinforced, others cancel, etc.
There has to be some sort of input though.

4 Likes

It could be some sort of equipment running somewhere. Also maybe a cell tower that the wind hits just right to make a tone like a flute?

7 Likes

It’s the sound of over 2 million people judging you.

7 Likes

It’s probably a nest of steelmakers.

15 Likes

us steel was all, “Oh, fuck off, you’re Canada,” about it while it was still happening. Wouldn’t let anyone inspect the site nor make any explanation.

8 Likes

That damn tree is at it again.

4 Likes

I live with tinnitus.
Sometimes you barely notice it, sometimes it gets to the crazy-loud, no can concentrate level.

6 Likes

Didn’t they solve another one like this before, turned out it was some noise machine that was supposed to scare pigeons away and the person just left its on because he didn’t hear it.

3 Likes

Someone is backing a Tesla all around Brooklyn :smiley:

6 Likes

sounds like a job for this guy (seriously, i bet you could use his technique to find the source) Hunting Down A Mystery House Noise - YouTube

1 Like

Do they have that (bogus) ShotSpotter system that’s supposed to locate gunshots? Maybe they could repurpose it.

1 Like

Every scaffold in the neighborhood has rows of these at the top. The bottom part would be in the top of a scaffold buck, but the top would be open.

3 Likes

That is definitely a plausible theory that could be easily checked.

2 Likes

If it was that, wouldn’t it be far, far more common than just this neighborhood?

1 Like

It does sound like wind-driven resonance of sorts, but a portion of the video playing the noise showed trees on a windless night. My money is on equipment having to do with city utility maintenance (city won’t admit to that for obvious reasons).

1 Like

I have another theory that is slightly less plausible.

6 Likes