Engineers will attempt to fix the Golden Gate Bridge's eerie hum sound that freaks some people out

Originally published at: Engineers will attempt to fix the Golden Gate Bridge's eerie hum sound that freaks some people out | Boing Boing

6 Likes

the cost will be around $450,000

That buys a lot of duct tape. Should work.

11 Likes

I like the noise, from 650 miles away.

11 Likes

Messing with the harmonics, this will go well…

Moving Pictures Bridge GIF

9 Likes
8 Likes

During the first sky river storm several weeks ago in San Francisco, I had to move my car, necessitating going out in the storm. Besides, I was going stir-crazy and needed to get outside…

When I got to my car, I noticed an omnipresent sound that was eery and unsettling. Apparently the Golden Gate Bridge’s humming sound was being carried on the strong winds.

This is not something you want to hear during a dark and stormy night or day…

17 Likes

It’s humming down the Millennium Tower.

9 Likes

image_130754

17 Likes

OK if I had to live near that and hear it nonstop, I’d be pissed off too. Fun to listen to on a device I can shut off but I’m with the locals, Gag that noisy bastard or play a recording of it in the governor’s office until he got bored with it. Governor or whoever the hell is in charge of changing things like that.

4 Likes

I think the wailing complements the South Tower Demon quite nicely.

3 Likes

or knock the whole thing down and go back to running a ferry

4 Likes

Yeah, it sounds completely reasonable to at least reduce the volume of the sound, which seems to be excessive right now.

2 Likes
3 Likes

I like the sound (reminds me of the Myst games), but yeah, turning it down seems totally fair.

5 Likes

Jurnee Smollett Hbo GIF

2 Likes

Another sailor, eh? :wave:t4:

2 Likes

There are dozens of us!

4 Likes

That’s a long way to walk if you’re a pedestrian with that ringing in your ears. Does anyone besides tourists actually use the sidewalk to cross the bridge?

2 Likes

There is nothing within walking distance on the north side of the bridge

Marin County functioned as a de facto gated community for the Bay Area’s super-rich before the whole region became unaffordable

3 Likes

Yes, local folks also bike and walk across the GG Bridge.

4 Likes