Engineering screwup turns Golden Gate Bridge into creepy wind siren

Not Brian Eno’s best work but give it some time and it’ll grow on me.

27 Likes

If this were kaiju, a monster would soon appear in the bay.

8 Likes

A 9000 foot long flute!

5 Likes

They should put an end to the bridge’s modality and upgrade to tonality.

7 Likes

I’ll bet Galileo High STEM and music students are designing keying mechanisms at this very moment. I foresee wind gauges and sliding barriers, and of course the system will be hacked.

5 Likes

And you know this how?

5 Likes

Legion (2010) is watchable. Paul Bettany is excellent as usual; the script comports itself with dignity and graphic violence, fusing Christian tropes with dystopian angelic close-quarters combat; and the dark visual style is well-conceived and richly supplemented with interesting FX.

Also, the incomprehensibly versatile* Doug Jones as the Ice Cream Man. Because Ice Cream Man!

* See e.g. Hellboy (2004).

4 Likes

Same engineer worked on both!

Although I recognize that its constancy and volume may well be a nuisance, this doesn’t sound… “creepy” to me.
It sounds cool.

4 Likes

Brian Breez-o, amiright?

It’s worse than that:

The-Time-Machine-Siren-scene

But yeah, looking forward to the Scientific American article that goes into exacting detail on the phenomena involved. The gaps in the pedestrian walkway railing are effectively a multiplicity of resonant whistles(?)

3 Likes

Ambient 5: Music for Bridges

15 Likes

David Lynch knows the sound.tpeaks

4 Likes

How is that pronounced (separate T and H, or “th” together?) 'Cause my mind immediately went to “If you can’t Beetham, Joyneham.”

6 Likes

People are assuming it was a screwup. No, it was actually part of a deliberate ritual to summon Ithaqua the Windwalker.

10 Likes

I’m not from Manchester myself, but IIRC it’s pronounced Beet-Ham. So yeah, Beetham Joyneham sound right to me.

1 Like

“We knew going into the handrail replacement that the Bridge would sing during exceptionally high winds from the west, as we saw yesterday,” said a statement from the Golden Gate Bridge District.

So they intentionally didn’t modify the design to prevent it. Would have been nice if they had mentioned that before they summoned an Old God.

12 Likes

I have tinnitus. The whole world sounds like this to me.

13 Likes

You jest, but this is the sort of thing that CAD software could predict and at some point surely will.

4 Likes

I’m sure it’s already easy enough* to model if you see it coming. But if it weren’t a peculiar result, this wouldn’t be news in the first place.

What if there’s some isolated tribe with endemic oculo-buccal inversion, now facing a wave of shoop-fuelled ethnic oppression? Probably not, but would it make you a monster if you hadn’t checked that in advance?

* tho apparently some sound sources, like weird bells, are still hard to model properly

1 Like