Engineering screwup turns Golden Gate Bridge into creepy wind siren

Funking Hell! That is so perfectly dystopian.

Buncha nerdy types talking engineering :

It’s pretty interesting: standing waves, dampened wind energy being conserved as acoustic energy by the bridge, square pipes vs round ones, hollow pipes with or without openings, etc.

It would be so cool to take that sound energy and make an art project with it, as some have mentioned here. I get it that not everyone wants to hear wind chimes–even really nice ones–all the time.

First thing I thought of when I heard Creepy Wind Siren was what kind of acoustics were taking place in the water, where significant marine biomass communicates via sound waves. Because…

Warning: it’s super depressing.

8 Likes
6 Likes

Totally came here for this. My wife’s first reaction was, “This is 2020 don’t do that, you’ll call kaiju!”

Too late now I guess:

8 Likes

I really wish BB posters would stop posting Twitter links. Twitter is a hell stew of racism, inhumanity, stupidity, and the worst of the world and I refuse to even view content from there anymore. If you’re going to post three items, could at least one of them not be on Twitter? Please?

10 Likes

Great, now infrastructure is being designed FOR 99 Percent Invisible episodes.

1 Like

With a little tweaking it could be the world’s biggest harmonica!

3 Likes

If this were an anime the tone would hijack all the construction mechs in the city and have them run rampant.
tenor

7 Likes

I wish I could hear it. I’m too far away.

3 Likes

The Guardian said it sounds like a wheezing kazoo. For a harmonica effect, stretch taut tarps between the cables.

4 Likes

Yep, call me when you’re done!

4 Likes

Christopher Moore’s Second Hand Souls, anyone? It’s the souls on the bridge wailing

2 Likes

in the “drive across the bridge” video (how’d he get to drive across the sidewalk anyway, and what was he driving?), you can hear many different tones, but the dominant one, and the one that carries through in the other two videos, seems to be an A above middle C. Piano tuners in SF won’t have to carry tuning forks with them any longer.

6 Likes
3 Likes

3 Likes

In the replies to the tweet I saw with the video, the poster said that they’d gotten the video from a maintenance worker driving one of their little service carts.

9 Likes

Can someone update this thread when the first conspiracy theories about governmental mind control via soundwaves pop up?
Bad Engineering will be too obvious for those questioning who’s behind of it minds…

2 Likes

Pretty sure Antifa is behind it. Has anybody checked with Trump?

7 Likes

The Guardian:

Paolo Cosulich-Schwartz, a Golden Gate Bridge, Highway & Transportation District spokesperson, said the sounds stemmed from long-planned wind retrofitting.

“The new musical tones coming from the bridge are a known and inevitable phenomenon that stem from our wind retrofit project during very high winds.

Which rather implies there isn’t an intention to fix it.

I’m not Manc either, though it’s my nearest big city. I say ‘Beeth-am’ (‘th’ as in ‘the’, not as in ‘think’), but I couldn’t say for sure whether that’s correct.
A bit of Googling suggests ‘Beeth-am’ (‘th’ as in ‘think’).
The tiny village of that name in South Cumbria is definitely ‘Beeth-am’ (‘th’ as in ‘the’), FWIW. :wink:

1 Like

Singing in the wires.

2 Likes