New Melbourne skyscraper howls and creaks like a demon

Originally published at: Melbourne High-Rise Apartment Emits Terrifying Howls and Creaks

5 Likes

Melbourne’s Howling Castle?

15 Likes

Did they make the pipes out of tin?

Fun fact: the chemistry building in my undergrad was piped with tin for the dionized water. Repairing it was a pain, because they needed to track down a whitesmith to do the repair, but without solder. That’s also where we get the expression : a tinker’s dam from.

11 Likes

It sounds like the only good use for this building is to launder foreign money through real estate sales.

6 Likes

3 Likes

Is this a reddit ruse to get us to their site? Had to go there to unmute the sound.

But having heard it, there’s no way I’d spend a night there. If I bought the place off-plan (not that I’d every do something that dumb unless I was an international money launderer) I’d be talking to lawyers right now.

6 Likes

just don’t think of anything. i’m sure it will be fine

7 Likes

6 Likes

Hey, at least it isn’t leaning.

7 Likes
  • Start a whole toxic masculinity thing about how only Real Men are capable of living there.
  • Unload all the space to bros with something to prove.
  • Move elsewhere under a different name.
6 Likes

All tall buildings flex (they’d fall down if they didn’t), but it would be interesting to know how this compares to other super-tall residential buildings. I assume the creaking is from the apartment’s interior, not the building structure, so I wonder if they just ignored a body of experience on how to construct high-rise interiors.

7 Likes

In exchange for a first-class ticket to Melbourne from San Francisco and a suitable fee, the developers can get famed engineer Ronald Hamburger to explain how this is perfectly normal and safe.

3 Likes

:tada: :tada::tada:

Congratulations! You’ve just identified what seems to be about 90% of the product of the construction industry in the Melbourne CBD, Docklands, and Southbank!

The office space is mostly empty (and the commercial real estate industry is lobbying everyone to make them stop this WFH nonsense) and the residential industry seems to be almost entirely foreign owned apartments bought sight unseen off the plan, and more often than not turned into AirBnBs, with occasional people who actually live in the apartment they own (or rent), and live in a mostly empty de facto hotel, only with no security or organised housekeeping.

Oh, and a housing affordability crisis, which the last 30 years of policy has made inevitable but the political class refuses to actually do anything about because it might make real estate prices rises slow down or even (pause for gasps of shock and horror) fall to an affordable level!

7 Likes

Sounds like a ship. I like it.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Are they sure that it is the building?

Maybe it’s that Elric of Melbourné guy?

elric-saga-tv

1 Like

It’s true. We’re not real. But we already knew that right?

2 Likes

Has Melbourne been officially twinned with Vancouver and London yet? All three cities have endlessly spouting luxury apartment blocks - and no one living in them.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.