Here's something you don't want to see happening to your plane's engine when you look out the window

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/11/heres-something-you-dont-w.html

8 Likes

“Didn’t I freaking WARN you??” —William Shatner

30 Likes

com-optimize%20(39)

I mean what else do you do at that point?

22 Likes

29 Likes

Well that settles it, I’m never flying again.

14 Likes

Plane falls on @Papasan

30 Likes

Not today Buddy!

19 Likes

Suprisingly less dangerous than you’d think.

That engine will be off and the fan spinning just from the enviroment. Multiple engined aircraft can land quite safely with one engine down…

If it’s a single engine aircraft and/or an unchecked fire (or collateral damage, eg examples of catastrophic engine failures taking out all hydraulic systems) that’s when you need to worry about an engine failure.

6 Likes

Plane falls on @Papasan tomorrow.

15 Likes

Not tomorrow Buddy!

16 Likes

There is nothing that I want to see happening to my plane’s engine when I look out the window.

9 Likes

You don’t want to see it functioning? :wink:

/flees

13 Likes

Seat cushion change in aisle 15,16,17,18,19…

20 Likes

As long as it’s functioning as an engine, sure. If it’s functioning as a jet powered shredder then no.

14 Likes

Stand perfectly still…

Remembers some sort of physics lesson that two moving objects have a greater instance of coming into contact with each other.

4 Likes

Good news! We found what was causing that rattle you were complaining about.

13 Likes

In one of Delta’s statements they felt it important to assure the public that the engine had already been replaced and that the plane was back in service. You know. In case anyone was concerned with how the plane was dealing with all this negative attention.

No one ever thinks of the planes. Why won’t anyone think of the planes?

7 Likes

Probably the best meta in-joke in TV: “That happened to me too!”

11 Likes

“Hey, cap, looks like the little thing that goes round and round in the middle of that big tube that makes whooshing noises out there on the wing has come off. It’s just sort of bouncing around in there. Might be chewing up the fan blades some. Think we can just ignore it?”

“Sure, I guess. What’s the worst that could happen?”

“The very worst? Gee, I dunno. Maybe the blades could fragment, and the engine could ingest some bits of steel or carbon-fiber or something. You’d probably lose some performance that way. Might even get a big old fire. That’d suck.”

“You think that could really happen?”

“Well, I guess. I mean, it’s probably fine, but you know, there must be a reason why we don’t fly with that thing like that all the time. I mean, I’m not saying that the plane’s definitely going to explode into a huge fireball just because some itty-bitty little part has come loose and started banging around inside one of the two bits of the plane that are keeping us in the air, but, hey, you know what they say about safe and sorry. Still, if you just want to pretend we never saw it and, like, push on, I’m cool with that too.”

“Nah, I guess we better.” (cuts in mic) “Ladies and gentleman, this is your captain speaking. We’ve been notified of a minor issue with one of our engines, so out of an abundance of caution, we’ll be diverting to Raleigh airport so the mechanics can take a look at it. We apologize for the inconvenience, and thank you for choosing Delta.”

4 Likes

Okay, fine. (checking “plane falling from the sky schedule”) When will work for you?

15 Likes