Something you don't want to see looking out of the plane window

Originally published at: Something you don't want to see looking out of the plane window | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Meh. Even if you lose one engine, the remaining one has enough power to take you to the crash site.

49 Likes

60 Likes

tenor

That is a hell of a thing to see out the window. The rational part of your brain may well be saying the other engine has enough power to make a safe landing but the irrational part is going ‘fuuuuuuuck…’.

22 Likes

The turny bit is still turning and the flamey bit is still flamey, so i’m not really seeing the problem here

23 Likes

That engine be like:

15 Likes

Do you get to keep the bit that land in your yard? Cause I would totally want to keep the bits!

13 Likes

I’d say if that didn’t take the wing off when it blew that you were having a pretty good day.

11 Likes

Same thing happened to me in 1967:

16 Likes

Oh yeah, I think I remember you talking about that.

5 Likes

Probably because one of the passengers was Lois Lane.

16 Likes

The mechanicals into the engine at the wing-mount must have been damaged too. Otherwise, the engine fuel cutoff would have shut, extinguishing the fire.

Having a live fuel line feeding flaming engine wreckage is right on the “total vehicle loss” boundary.

Congrats to the aircrew!!

26 Likes

With a good second engine, competent piloting, and agreeable weather conditions, the chance for a safe landing is very good. On that flight, I would have been much more concerned about the post-explosion structural integrity of the nacelle-to-wing fixity and the chance of that part of the wing breaking away.

11 Likes

How can the QGOP’ers blame Antifa for this? I’ll wait…

9 Likes

Coincidentally there was a cargo plane spewing engine parts over a town in The Netherlands too:

I wonder if maintenance is also a corona casualty.

Edit: for the English speakers:

10 Likes

Even if the remaining engine fails, the plane will take you to the crash site! (dark humor)

9 Likes

That’s kinda bad, sure, but some time in the early 1970s our entire plane blew up!

Luckily it was on the ground, at the gate, and no one was on board. The grown ups got free alcohol while we waited for another plane, but did they give any to us kids? No. They didn’t care about us, I guess. I mean, it was in Germany, so they totally could have.

Something about the wrong fuel lines being attached, I think they told us; I was maybe seven so I don’t remember exactly. I do recall seeing the the whole fuselage just peeled open by the blast, which I thought it was pretty cool.

17 Likes

This sort of thing makes me feel bad for the aviation industry, since the real takeaway should be how impressive it is that planes (a) work fine nearly all of the time and (b) work fine when one of the engines asplode.

I remember reading about a flight where one of the engines fell off, and then the other engine fell off, which really appeals to my sense of humor, and iirc even that plane landed safeishly.

13 Likes

The real story is the triumph of good engineering over bad maintenance. :slightly_smiling_face:

25 Likes

I’d like to take a moment for the dude’s truck that got totaled by the “debris” that landed in his “yard”.

6 Likes