Alexa tells 10-year-old girl to electrocute herself

Or is it Tay?

3 Likes

Yeah, once the upstairs circuit breaker popped and I went up to find a suspiciously guilty looking older cousin, and my son and a charred screwdriver. I pointed out to them how a circuit breaker does what an it does and why, and told them it would NOT be popping again, and it didn’t.

I didn’t mention I’d done exactly the same thing 40 years before…

5 Likes

How does it rate on the Lego scale?

5 Likes

SYWVOLD

12 Likes

If a standard Lego block is 10, a British 3 pin plug is around about 263. It hurts!

4 Likes

Tesla is to blame. DC is safer than AC. With DC, you won’t die shorting the conductors with a penny.
– Edison (more or less)

2 Likes

I remember in the 80s and into the 90s if you bought an electric appliance you had to add the plug yourself because there were two standards still in existence.

5 Likes

They lurk in the dark, waiting to hobble one foot in order that the LEGO bricks can finish the job…

1 Like

Interestingly, the challenge was phrased as

"Tell me a challenge to do
Here’s something I found on the web. According to ourcommunitynow.com: The challenge is simple: plug in a phone charger about halfway into a wall outlet, then touch a penny to the exposed prongs.

Ourcommunitynow.com has this article

Watch Out, Parents—the Viral 'Outlet Challenge' Has Kids Doing the Unthinkable!

Forget Tide pods and ice water; the latest TikTok craze is the “outlet challenge.” Yes, it’s as stupid as it sounds.

The challenge is simple: plug in a phone charger about halfway into a wall outlet, then touch a penny to the exposed prongs. The resulting sparks are supposed to be cool enough to win you instant internet fame.

Assuming that ourcommunitynow has not engaged in damage control and rewritten its archives, the article was written in a fairly common sensationalist mood which Alexa can’t understand.

Will Alexa suggest the tidepod challenge, if it reads an old article that warns against it?

1 Like

:thinking:

3 Likes

Oh my, Alexa! What are you going to suggest next? Autoerotic Asphyxiation?

In the US at least you still need to do this with 220/240V electric appliances because there’s numerous different receptacle types. The last time I replaced my dryer and range I needed to buy 10-30P cords separately. Not expensive or anything but still annoying.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.