Should this grandmother have let her granddaughter squirt herself with a hose?

[Read the post]

2 Likes

Yes but I’dve persuaded the young’un to aim a little lower.

8 Likes

I don’t even have to pull out my Worst Case Scenario Calculator for that one. Nostrils filled with water is a key part of growing up.

70 Likes

CALL CPS!!!

That is so cute.

11 Likes

I say live and learn, but with the caveat that not everything that children do needs to be published online.

I just thank God that I was the youngest of five and the novelty of documenting had worn off. (To this day, I suspect I was adopted due to the lack of photographic evidence.) However, at least I was spared the humiliation of strangers viewing my entire life online.

36 Likes

Did she learn from her experience?

10 Likes

Pffffft, we hosed ourselves and each other in the faces when I was a kid, and we turned out just fine.

No, my eye doesn’t always twitch like that. Just on hot days, I swear.

29 Likes

Seems like Nana did her job. First, she clearly and repeatedly informed granddaughter that it was a bad idea. Second, she let granddaughter make her own mistake. Third, she enjoyed the results. Fourth, she felt bad.

End result: no one hurt, and the value of Nana’s advice is increased.

78 Likes

Not as bad as when I was five and my father — an electrical engineer — recomended I put my finger down a light socket.

21 Likes

The kid is alright, no harm, no foul.

If it was a hot stove, high enough pressure to hurt the child or something else a reasonable person could foresee would cause injury, my opinion might be different. YMMV.

15 Likes

>.<

I’ve shocked myself a few times, and I can see the teaching value of it, but doing it deliberately?

I’m surprised you trusted your father’s advice after that.

11 Likes

That’s so mean!

Just speaking from the experience of having done exactly that myself with no adult encouragement.

ETA: Nana did give her fair warning, and the kid didn’t listen.

She found out the hard way.

16 Likes

The grandmother did the right thing. She shared her wisdom, but let the child find out what would happen if she followed through with her actions. Stopping the little girl robs her of a learning experience. This is why we see thirty year olds still living in their parents’ basements, as they’ve been protected to the point of crippling them.

19 Likes

I am sure I have mentioned it here. When the offspring was a toddler he saw my shot glass with some bourbon in it. He reached for it and said ‘juice, juice’ and I told him no. He didn’t believe my repeated attempts to convince him otherwise so I figure he is just gonna find out. He never trusted anything I offered him to drink for a long time and at 14 he is still cautious about it.

23 Likes

The good thing in this case is that it was self limiting since shock would normally cause someone to let go of the lever. Not quite the ideal test case to teach children the wisdom of listening to granny, but close.

2 Likes

Ooops…

I liked too prematurely; having not read your comment all the way to the end.

Pity.

When I was 29 I had to move back in with my mom because I was having a baby… but my SO had become toxic and abusive, so I couldn’t remain in a relationship with him.

I lived with her for just under a year before I got myself back up on my feet and moved us out to my own place across the country.

So basically, not absolutely everyone who still lives with their parents when they are 30 years old is automatically a result of ‘coddling’ or “helicopter parenting.”

Some of us out here only “lean” when we really need to, and stand firmly on our own whenever we can.

But hey, what the hell do I know?

37 Likes

There is nothing wrong with going home when you need help. What I was referring to were the people who’ve never tried to live on their own and are in a sense incapable of doing it, because they’ve never learned how to. I totally agree that it is easy to stereotype and I should have provided more context to my remark. Hell, I probably shouldn’t have made the comment in the first place. As a parent I work hard every day to make sure that I am helping my children grow to be thoughtful, independent, strong, compassionate and a host of other traits. I often see parents robbing their children of opportunities to grow and learn and that scares me, both for the well being of that child as well as whether or not I am doing the right things by my own children.

17 Likes

Well… It was a learning experience in a couple of ways.

2 Likes

Good on you for that; it’s definitely not easy.

4 Likes

Telling a young child “No” while you’re giggling and providing them with attention is perceived by the child as encouragement and/or play.

Hopefully their local water utilities adds enough chlorine to the water to kill any bacteria the hose or nozzle may have harbored and they don’t get a sinus infection.

5 Likes