Algorithmic cruelty

“His point about thoughtlessness is very well put…” followed by your thoughtless, heartless comment that clearly shows you lack any sort of empathy.

So how do you expect someone who is not you and whom you do not know should act after they lose a child? And why are you the authority on this? And why are you even fucking judging someone like this?

11 Likes

I’m confused. Mine came up once in my feed in the last week, and knowing I didn’t want to see it, I clicked on “I dont want to see this” in the upper right corner of the post and haven’t seen it since. I don’t even know what’s in it because I won’t see it.

Not to seem insensitive because i’m sure it would be terrible to see a photo on my feed even once of a gone loved one, but it’s really easy to not see it again.

Except this isn’t like finding a sock in a drawer, this is Facebook finding that sock and waving it in your face, going “HEY LOOK WHAT I FOUND IT’S YOUR DEAD DAUGHTER’S SOCK I WONDER WHAT HAPPENED TO THE OTHER ONE LOL”

10 Likes

She looked like a bright child in the picture. I am sorry for your loss.

4 Likes

Facebook put together one of those “Your Year in Review” things for me the other day. I reported it as annoying or uninteresting.

3 Likes

No, it’s really nothing like that. It’s an algorithm that isn’t intelligent enough to distinguish one like from another. I feel terrible for his loss, but not enough to assign malice to every entity that fails to show the appropriate sensitivity.

5 Likes

Facebook is just plain too big for anyone who doesn’t work there to feel any obligation whatsoever to give a shit about whether complaints against them are fair or not.
All’s fair, when you’re stuck kicking at the shins of a giant.

4 Likes

I suggest canceling your account. Life is better without Facebook.

5 Likes

And one more question, @Boundegar, how do you know he “hangs out all day on Facebook” and isn’t thinking about the child he lost? Where did you get that assumption from? How does noting something about Facebook = hangs out on Facebook all day? You made that story up in your head.

And, isn’t this post entirely about the child he has lost and how seeing her picture come up in a “Year in Review” celebration meme makes his grief harder to handle? So how is he not thinking about the child he lost when this post is literally sharing a story about this man’s grief?

Your assumptions are not even logical! You just made up a little story in your head and now you can tell yourself you’re superior and oh so much better than him because you don’t use Facebook. (Just a guess! But I bet I’m right.)

So, because you don’t use Facebook, you’re automatically superior, right?

What’s so maddeningly ironic is that you even ADMIT you can’t be sympathetic! You admit it! You admit you lack sympathy for another human being (who lost their child!) because he uses Facebook and you don’t. You felt comfortable admitting it, and you couldn’t even see how incredibly hypocritical that statement was.

It astonishes me, really, how people can be so blatantly and obviously cruel and yet find themselves so wonderfully better than a complete fucking stranger who happens to use Facebook.

This isn’t the first time I’ve come across this attitude:

“Oh, well, you use social media. Ugh, you’re an awful person! You are so selfish and anti-social You are beneath me. I am superior because I do not use social media. I care about those around me! Just not those who use social media. Tsk. tsk.”

It’s such a grossly hypocritical attitude.

9 Likes

Yup. It’s a pain. Our beloved cat has cancer, and I’ve been posting pics and comments about him for the last month. Every time that damn ad comes up, there’s his furry face. No thanks. I’ll wallow on my own.

3 Likes

Sure.

Use the exact same algorithm, but instead of just springing a picture of what could very well be a dead loved one surrounded by celebrating cartoon people and some sappy caption about what a great year it was without asking, just post a message asking if they’d like to see a facebook photo montage of their year first.

And if they click yes, then show the montage.

Boom, done. You’re welcome.

11 Likes

Otherwise known as the “shitty” and “good” versions, respectively.

1 Like

Yeah, but if it can’t feel the malice to cause the pain intentionally, then you also can’t hurt its feelings by bitching at it, so why not?
Beats taking it out on those close to you.

It’s not that the algorithm exhibits malice. It’s that it indicates thoughtlessness on the part of the coders who implemented it. They obviously didn’t consider that some of the images they might scrape from a person’s timeline would be painful to see. There are all sorts of images one might post that were joyful at the time, that would be painful to see later.

One of the issues Facebook has already been forced to start dealing with, are the Facebook pages for people who have died. They really don’t have much excuse for failing to consider that their users may be grieving because of suffering and loss.

7 Likes

Propose a better movie if you have one in mind. Preferably in script.

Propose a better car, if you have one in mind that doesn’t explode when being rearended. Preferably in schematics.

1 Like

Having a hard time getting the least be concerned about this. Hell some people would perhaps enjoy a flash back that included loved ones who passed. They include stuff like that at the Oscars and several funerals I have attended.

1 Like

Well I hope you had a lovely Christmas.

2 Likes

And yet, other people have different feelings from you. Will wonders never cease?

1 Like

Right. Everyone is different. So are we to err on the side of caution and and not do anything?

I just viewed mine. It had pics I posted and things I said on Facebook. I think its is reasonable to assume that one wouldn’t take offense to things you yourself posted and said on Facebook.

What’s next? Facebook isn’t to tell you when you have a friend request because the person requesting it was a jerk to you in High School?

1 Like

You’re proposing a solution literally no one is advocating–is it not acceptable to ask for ideas or solutions without automatically advocating for the most extreme one?

3 Likes