Woman whose son died at birth wrote this to tech firms who keep reminding her

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/11/woman-whose-baby-died-at-birth.html

18 Likes

Why do they continue? Because the code doesn’t know how to monetize losing a child.

49 Likes

That’s terrible news. I’m sorry for her loss. It sucks to have to deal with constant reminders of her pain too.

28 Likes

Cold, calculating, cruel algorithms.

6 Likes

How horrible.

Sadly, this is what happens when society big business tries to monetize every single human interaction and emotion.

36 Likes

Another great reason to block all ads everywhere always.

29 Likes

Modern advertising is a disgusting disease of the social psyche. I don’t participate in sickening my brain with it.

19 Likes

I’d rather eat my internal organs than ever, ever be on any social media.

12 Likes

Would you like some tasty BBS Sauce with your spleen?

22 Likes

ITA. We’re building a dystopia just to make people click on ads - Zeynep Tufekci

8 Likes

And she still has Facebook’s “Memories of your year” video getting crammed down her throat to look forward to.

15 Likes

This is horrible and she should probably should install ublock origin to slow down the advertising reminders.

10 Likes

Yeah, but it shouldn’t be on her to have to do that.

24 Likes

Sure it does.

“We see you’re depressed because your child died in your belly, here’s some shit you can buy to cope!”

6 Likes

Is gtmac your real name? If not, then neither you or @Papasan are on what’s commonly known as “social media”.

13 Likes

Agreed and she needs to shame the companies but the cynic in me doubts we will see any positive change from them. I expect if the system noticed the death they wouldn’t leave her alone but start advertising funeral services and anti-depression drugs to her.

The only defense we have past regulation (I think sadly a pipe dream right now) or tracking/ad blocking.

15 Likes

I wish you weren’t right, but I suspect you are!

10 Likes

I was thinking “delete Facebook,” but an adblocker is a fair alternative.

This, and it’s such a shame that the potential of social media being a source of support is so soured by greed.

“Grandpa grandpa! tell us again what it was like in the 90’s!”

Well, you see, people would visit «SIGN UP FOR OUR TIMESHARE PROGRAM» each other in person and talk face to face «JOIN FACEBOOK PLUS TODAY» about their problems.

7 Likes

Don’t know how to? or perhaps there just isn’t enough money to be made in doing it. I’m sure they could write the code to do it, I’m sure there’s a way to monetize it. Just not a profit in it so they don’t give a fuck. YAY CAPITALISM.

4 Likes

The algorithms for advertising aren’t nearly as clever as the ones for google search. And it’s very difficult, if not impossible, to turn off ads on a phone. Even if you tell your phone to not use targeted advertising, it still happens, because there are so many unscrupulous marketing vectors these days.

My heart goes out to her. I have no idea what it’s like to go through this amount of pain, and it’s inexcusable for the internet world to compound one’s grief with constant reminders. Not that this will even slow them down an iota.

9 Likes