All English Words are Always Metaphors

This is one bad post.

My feet crunched the leaves.
The pudding went splat.
The falling anvil went thud.

#NotAllWords

English is a metaphorically highly flexible language, as opposed to Mandarin, German and French. Russian is also highly metaphorical. The flexibility in usage lends itself to greater and better communication and understanding of meaning and intent, rather than an instructive delivery of precision.

That doesn’t mean I think anyone is any smarter than anyone else.

I find it fair to say “I literally exploded when I heard that”, as “I metaphorically exploded” renders too evident, in a kind of Germanic way, the desire to communicate the inherent fallacy as a descriptive embellishment to the statement. “Metaphorically exploded” undermines the intended fun.

[Rereads title of post, having forgotten all about it.]

Okaaay. So, you’re not a fan of hyperbole then. I guess I have only one question, “Were you speaking literally, or figuratively, when you said, ‘Always’?”

Literally literally, always always.

Well, not entirely; I had the idea that the die being cast was actually a mould too.

I’m figuratively bored to death

1 Like

You all make excellent points, but I’m going to just go ahead and declare the language delightfully broken. Everything else is just a matter of what you choose to get mad about

Now that literally includes figuratively, that clearly also means that every word used in every metaphor is now a metaphor for itself.

Also, everything else.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 1017 days. New replies are no longer allowed.