All this industrial robot does is tap its feet to test how footsteps will sound in a building

Originally published at: All this industrial robot does is tap its feet to test how footsteps will sound in a building | Boing Boing

4 Likes

But, at night, when everyone except the janitor has gone home, out come the tap shoes.

12 Likes

The “stompers union” shall hear of this outrage.

10 Likes

Or summon sandworms.

12 Likes

Nicely syncopated, though.

5 Likes

This is one of those things, like that FDA test-grade peanut butter that costs $500/lb, that seems sort of absurd, but is probably critical to making the world work properly.

6 Likes

It is the dachshund to Boston Dynamics’ Spot.

(No offense to dachshund-lovers :slight_smile: )

5 Likes

It can tap, but can it shuffle?

4 Likes

Rick and Morty - You pass Butter - YouTube

4 Likes

Dig that crazy beat, man. It’s industrial.

7 Likes

That just means that you have to walk without rhythm.

5 Likes

I am willing to stand in your building and tap my foot for hours at a time for slightly less than that

2 Likes

“I’m going to wear ultra baggy pants so you can’t see my legs, while I teach you something that requires you to see my legs.”

3 Likes

I finally find a job I can do and it’s already been taken by a robot.

3 Likes

See also the Norsonic Impact Ball:
(search for it; no links for me :frowning: )
and the Rion Heavy Impact (Bang) Machine:
(search for it; no links for me :frowning: )

This is because there’s no good definition for impact noise (i.e. walking sounds) through floors, nor is there a definition for the annoyance it causes. IIC (Impact Isolation Class, measured with the tapping machine) is a subtractive measurement, so it needs a calibrated source. Cindy Crawford’s downstairs neighbors famously sued her for the noise in her condo (with marble floors) and while the floors passed the standardized test (with tapping machine), if you walked around with high heels (as she was wont to do) the noise was measurably louder.

4 Likes

I worked in a building with slightly too flexy floors and it was maddening. On the plus side, I learned to distinguish my corworkers by their gate.

4 Likes

Fuck if I’m not sending this to every musician I know!

1 Like

Uncle Chris moves like a god. :smiley:

2 Likes

Norsonic Impact Ball:

Rion Heavy Impact (Bang) Machine:
https://rion-sv.com/products/10015/FI020009

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.