Watch: Boston Dynamics robots dancing to The Contours' "Do You Love Me?"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/02/watch-boston-dynamics-robots-dancing-to-the-contours-do-you-love-me.html

re-re-boing.

14 Likes

A sure sign that the robots have begun their takeover.

12 Likes

That explains my déjà déjà vu…

6 Likes

Now I’m having deja vu about Yogi Berre saying “It’s deja vu all over again.”

9 Likes

WHY does BB seem to think this story is so damn interesting?

5 Likes

Hard not to infer sentience from these critters!

LOL, the best part is that I actually looked up to see if it was posted before! Sigh. https://boingboing.net/?s=boston+dynamics

7 Likes

Turns out they can also dance the Time Warp.

11 Likes

The video played like a scene from a yet to be released Alex Garland movie.

1 Like

This all is fun now kids but wait till we catch them after the dance doing the dirty in the back seat of of someone’s Tesla. And god or someone save us, what if one of them showed up with a trumpedian hair cut.

1 Like
2 Likes

I don’t think I’m a waco but this is tech destined for the military right? Every time i see one of these fascinating videos i get a chill.

4 Likes

it’s a three-boing

4 Likes

Probably. Recruiters have been having a hard time enlisting dance instructors for a few years now. Another job replaced by robots.

6 Likes

I mean i’m no against automation but where the art!

The BigDog platform (precursor to the “Spot” quadrupedal bot) was developed with DARPA money but I don’t think any of these bots were designed for military use. Turns out there are much more efficient ways of transporting supplies than a noisy legged bot and more efficient ways of killing people than building a complicated humanoid bot just to give it a gun.

2 Likes

I’m trying to track down what it is about this video that pisses me off so much. I guess maybe I’d always thought of dance as something intimately connected with the human body. Watching those amusing little hexapods do their prance around the floor didn’t arouse this kind of uncanny valley disgust, because in scale and in form, they weren’t trying to compete with human dance moves.

It could just be the choice of song. I’d love them a lot more if I was more sure they couldn’t be used as murder weapons. They kinda remind me of Ghost in the Shell ballerina 'bots, all adorable until the kill switch is flipped, and suddenly they’re strictly business.

Robots are the ultimate protean metamorphs. You can’t tell by looking at them, anything about their nature, you gotta find out their programming and their operators. They’re much like the corporation that way.

1 Like

If you’d searched for “robots” you’d have found at least two of the posts.

Yeah they’re dancing now, wait until they start murderizing.

3 Likes