Robots "Do You Love Me?" dance

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/30/robots-do-you-love-me-dance.html

3 Likes

Maybe the CGTN video on the BB article should be replaced with the original video by Boston Dynamics: Do You Love Me? - YouTube

8 Likes

Dawwwww…

When they dance on our graves they’ll be good at it.

BONUS!!!

11 Likes

I prefer this redditor’s dub of The Mighty Boosh’s Love Games to the original. https://youtu.be/lVUb_lX3LP8

1 Like

The robot with the brain sucking attachment has me a bit concerned.

8 Likes

I for one welcome our rug shredding robot overlords

6 Likes

Looks like the machines finally got tired of us making fun of their dance moves for so many decades and decided to show us up.

robot-dance

9 Likes

It’s indicative of something that this performance is protected by glass shields and water-filled Jersey barriers.

4 Likes

From Clipboard

10 Likes

8 Likes

Delightful! Incredible that they are not only physically adept in terms of balance and coordination, but can use their movements to project a simulacrum of emoting via body language. I’ll have a grin on my face while they’re tearing me apart to usher in the new world order.

7 Likes

Now we have a sample of what robots do when they are not toiling away at some Russian cyberpunk farm.

I think these machines from Boston Dynamics are destined to be way more problematic than some mere Wheelie Boy (as author William Gibson had previously envisioned).

The peripheral (in the novel) is a walking, talking avatar. That’s not a spoiler, btw. But mechanical vs biological avatars / “robots” does have my attention. Combined with AI and the ubiquity of cell towers and comms satellites, the sky’s the limit on the potential for use and abuse.

Cue the Skynet commercial…

4 Likes

finally, a robot I can use

1 Like

There’s something reassuring about that…

5 Likes

It’s OK, Brad. You won’t be concerned much longer, Brad.

3 Likes

That was awesome; though Twerking Chicken Robot was a bit weird.

1 Like

Am disappoint, was expecting the Bad Seeds’ song.

2 Likes

Come with me if you want to jive.

8 Likes

Me too. It would have been fairly weird though, I guess.

1 Like

Propagandizing military tech is a valid concern, but of the three robot types shown here, one if them was designed for search and rescue operations, one of them seems to be seeing service primarily as a bomb disposal robot, and the other one was made to move boxes. Super weapons might be overselling it just a little bit.

From what I can tell DARPA’s main interest in Bostom Dynamics is in robots that can do search and rescue, as mentioned above, and as automated pack mules. Let’s face it, when America really wants to propagandize superweapons, we’re not subtle about it. We usually prefer to play highly nationalistic music over footage of missals and tanks with an American flag background.