These robots are programmed to tear up the dance floor

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/01/these-robots-are-programmed-to-tear-up-the-dance-floor.html

2 Likes

REBOING:

5 Likes

“Trout’s leading robot looked like a human being, and could talk and dance and so on, and go out with girls. And nobody held it against him that he dropped jellied gasoline on people. But they found his halitosis unforgivable. But then he cleared that up, and he was welcomed to the human race.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five

7 Likes

This is amazingly lifelike. All our voice assistants and rendered characters have been missing embodiment. Feels like a big piece of the singularity going clunk into place.

And modern dance is gonna get interesting.

1 Like

Hard not to think of the Black Mirror episode Metalhead… :grimacing:

These robots are presented as non-threatening to humans. They scare the fuck out of me, b/c some day they will be hunting humans in some kind of justified/rationalized war.

Adam Savage has one of the Spot robots on loan, and he’s been trying to make it look less weird:

Well, one of the things he tried was adding a ‘head’ with a Cthulhu mask, so maybe “less weird” isn’t the right phrase. Either way, it’s interesting to see how his thought processes encompass both ‘artistic’ and ‘engineering’ at the same time.

1 Like

I’ll admit that seeing it walk while wearing the baby shoes made me giggle uncontrollably.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.