Boston Dynamics robot moves like Jagger

Originally published at: Boston Dynamics robot moves like Jagger | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Normalizing these robots is a mistake.

13 Likes

Not for KillBotsInc it isn’t.

14 Likes

If only this was just used to make better muppets and animatronics then I’d say this is cool.

8 Likes

Tomorrow’s battlefield: “How 'bout a bit of the Stones before you die human.”

13 Likes

If Charlie Brooker isn’t already invested in Boston Dynamics he’s missing out. In addition to whatever the stock yields, the company is providing at least a season’s worth of Black Mirror story ideas.

7 Likes

fantastic. now do Michael Jackson in the Thriller or Bad videos!

2 Likes

I do wonder how much of what we see is completely programmed compared to how much the robot itself is reacting to it’s program. Comparing that to a person, we physically choose to move in a specific way (like raising an arm), but we subconsciously compensate for the weight distribution.

I know we have seen Boston Dynamic bots that can react to random changes, but I wonder if that’s universal for their systems.

2 Likes

This routine is surely just performance-captured then programmed in like a LOGO turtle, but the beauty of machine learning is that it’s very difficult to understand why the learned machine is doing something. Surprised there isn’t more fiction about that, it seems a perfect place to hide conscioussness.

6 Likes

Come here, killer. Come on, boy! Got a little treat for ya!

robot_slip

9 Likes

Quite honestly, that is kinda terrifying.

6 Likes

Nbc No GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

there’s something menacing about it…

4 Likes

“I know Now Why You Cry, But It’s Something I Can Never Do.”

2 Likes

Every time I see these boston dynamics robots, I think of this Chemical Brothers song, “Free Yourself” (content warning: EDM rave siren) and its absolutely fantastic video

7 Likes

Just add a cassette player and you have the opening for Guardians of the Galaxy 3

3 Likes

Mick Jagger or the robots?

7 Likes

I’ll bet they can’t make it dance like me.

1 Like

Yes

7 Likes

“The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised.” -George Will (unfortunately)

4 Likes

Machine learn this!

8 Likes