Boston Dynamics robot moves like Jagger

I’m a pessimist, but I’m also a realist when it comes to the capabilities of even the most robust machine learning algorithms. Which is to say, we’re in no danger of any of these machines becoming sentient any time in any of our lifetimes. If they ever do.

1 Like

This is my comment on every Boston Dynamics vid, but it’s still true- I can only ever see these videos as clips from a montage under ominous voiceover in the opening exposition of a post-robo-apocalypse movie. The cutsier the video, the more Verhovenesque sledghammer irony it injects…

2 Likes

Aside from the technical challenge, I’ve always wondered why they went for the humanoid bipedal form. There are way more stable and functional forms for just about any task, military or not.
And none of the robots was even trying to play guitar.

It kinda mimics the movements but this may be the least impressive video of the killbots since their inception. This actually shows more limitation than anything - I can rest easy today knowing no robot yet exists that can draw attention away from Mick Motherfucking Jagger.

The one on the left’s resemblance to Ronnie Wood is uncanny.

Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 18.00.40

But it also looks a lot like Emu

Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 18.02.24

4 Likes

That will never get old.

1 Like

Sentience is not the danger. In our lifetime we will have autonomous ground based robots in western countries making the decision to kill people. It doesn’t matter that the robot has no sense of self or perception of qualia when it makes that decision.

1 Like

When the robot started lip-syncing with its gripper, that became very disturbing, for some reason.

I think they covered it with the “Metalhead” episode.

Honestly, more worried about them not becoming sentient…

1 Like

If those bots run Windows 95, we’re saved!

3 Likes

A more interesting problem might be proving one isn’t sentient, given all possible contexts for that question.

2 Likes

It’d be interesting Boston Dynamics’ robots someday did something useful.

1 Like

Yes, agreed, the entire area of study is fascinating, for sure. I’m just averse to the common “robots are gonna kill us all!!1!” slant these articles take on because of tropes from sci-fi media. I don’t think the reality will be nearly so sensational.

1 Like

Normalizing Mick Jagger is also a mistake

2 Likes

Checks out - exactly like my dog on a wood floor.

ETA: LOL - I had not even just looked at the banana peels - I just saw a dog shaped thing fall over on a wooden floor and thought “yup”

2 Likes

These puppies are arguably more attractive than Jagger.
Where can I get a breeding pair?
I want to start a new-age blues band - gonna call it The Strolling Drones

3 Likes

Aw, they’re so CUTE! Let’s give them guns.

Could have been much worse. They could have mounted robotic very human-looking heads at the end of those neck stalks. Eyes roll. Mouths moves.

everything is extremely cool

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.