Google acquires robotics firm Boston Dynamics

[Permalink]

1 Like

This was always a joke before, but now I, for one, really do welcome our robotic overlords.

5 Likes

Are they going to put cameras on them so that we can have real-time views of places where humans dare not tread?

5 Likes

Welp. At least we know whoā€™s most likely to build skynet now.

Mildly curious on where theyā€™re going with this to be honest. Granted i live rrual enough they probably wonā€™t make me a priority targetā€¦ except thanks to the pilot program they kinda have my address. Soā€¦ uh. Step 1. Make sure car that just pulled in has driver.

4 Likes

ā€œtell me if you saw one of these things running after you, you wouldnā€™t crap your pants and have a heart attack at the same time.ā€

No shit. Ray Bradbury saw that one coming when he wrote ā€œFarenheit 451ā€.

2 Likes

Maybe they did this so when people go to moon the Street View vehicle, itā€™s now capable of kicking them in the arse?

5 Likes

Why would Google do this? What evil plans are they hatching?

2 Likes

Considering the old massive brain and opposable thumbs, no. No, I wonā€™t die of fright if some misguided idiot sends a loud, delicate, and generally very vulnerable machine after me. Iā€™ll grab a stick and take it out, steal whatever looks interesting in the way of parts off it, break anything left that looks expensive, and go get a burger. Maybe a burrito.

ā€œNever anthropomorphize a machine. They hate thatā€¦ā€

7 Likes

ā€œYou know, another thing just occurred to meā€¦ As far as I know, a Boston Dynamics Robot has never been disconnected.ā€

ā€œWell, no Boston Dynamics Robot has ever fouled up before.ā€

ā€œThatā€™s not what I meanā€¦ Iā€™m not so sure what he would think about it.ā€

4 Likes

Okay, so G00gle is officially becoming part of the military-industrial complex.
Hey, military-industrial googleplex!

@Samthebutcher
Iā€™d go back home and make some pasta. Otherwise: same page here.

Instant classic. I will quote this.

Reminds me of Colossus - The Forbin Project when the CIA guy starts adressing the computer as ā€˜heā€™, not ā€˜itā€™ and the presidentā€™s reaction is 'donā€™t personalize it - the next step is deification"

@singletona082
Of course there will be a driver. Integrated in the dashboard.

6 Likes

Yes. I admit it. I WOULD be crapping my pants and having a heart attack if this thing was chasing me.
I would just hope Iā€™d die before it got me. Gah!

2 Likes

Soooooo, Googleā€™s bought the worldā€™s premiere war-bot manufacturer? @cstross, i totally see where youā€™re coming fromā€¦

4 Likes

A company funded by DARPA for over 20 years is deemed worthy of acquisition. Is this the tax payer funding of high tech industry in action?

8 Likes

Yea, I donā€™t know if buying a military hardware company counts as ā€˜do no evilā€™.

14 Likes

I love Googleā€¦ and Iā€™m nmot just saying that so they donā€™t replace me with a lifelike robot doppelganger whose personality is based on crap I post online.

6 Likes

ā€œWelcome to the future of courier delivery, Robomule!ā€

ā€œI WILL NOT BEND, FOLD, SPINDLE OR MUTILATEā€¦ not unless you get in my way, fleshbagā€¦ā€

2 Likes

Didnā€™t Coke buy a few nuclear subs back when the Soviet Union imploded?

1 Like

But coke have always been evilā€¦ but wait, did they? Is a joke going over my head?

1 Like

It feels more and more like weā€™re living in one of the Terminator timelines :-S

1 Like

Somewhere on the Mountain View campus:

5 Likes