Almost 30% of Gen Z adults are LGBTQ

I look forward to the day when we can just use the phrase human being.

7 Likes

From the linked article, 88.8% of millennials identify as straight:

Every lgbtq+ person who’s worked over the years to push for gay rights and acceptance etc. should be feeling quietly smug about this news.

15 Likes

I´ll go out on a limb and say that it was a similar percentage with previous generations, only that they were not as open about it as Gen Zs.

11 Likes

So there’s as big a jump between Gen X and Millennials as between Millennials and Gen Z. But I don’t remember much media coverage about that at the time.

2 Likes

11 Likes

Back up, “gen z adults”? When did that happen?

(I don’t mean this as an “I’m old” post (ok, kinda), but I thought Millennials were 20-40 years old now)

… took me literally 10 seconds to find these

Millennials Are the Gayest Generation

Survey: 20 Percent of Millennials Identify as LGBTQ

3 Likes

… the oldest Z’s turned 25 at the beginning of 2022

The media will refocus its “kids today” articles on “Generation Alpha” and consign Z to middle age some time around 2038

10 Likes

That doesn’t change the fact that I don’t remember this coverage?

1 Like

Really? I thought generations were 20 years and Millennials started about 1982.

1 Like

Bit confused - where does the 28% in Pesco’s post come from? This table says 19.7%.

(No - did not wade through the 80-page PDF, when none of the chapter headings mention this topic.)

1 Like
5 Likes

Huh. Interesting. Thanks for the info.

1 Like

Well, for my Gen Zer, about 3 years ago. :woman_shrugging:

it’s a constantly moving target, honestly…

12 Likes

Perfect example of why these arbitrary generational labels the media loves so much are pointless and confusing. The article could have just said “Almost 30% of young adults ages X through Y identify as LGBTQ+” and everyone would have known who the study was referring to.

14 Likes

… to say nothing of the many Aunts/Uncles who “never married, but had a roommate with whom they were extremely close friends.”

10 Likes

Us Gen-Xers grew up where therapy wasn’t covered under medical plans - at all. The only people I knew who got therapy as a kid were court ordered. The rest of us had to have our breakdowns, and either work it out in group (that is - our friends) or self medicate - those of us that survived have self coping and got comfortable with being able to live with own mind (we were all latchkey kids remember - well not all of us but it was pretty common).

Anyway - yeah we got the transition phase - divorce rates up, single parents up, the ‘don’t let your kids outside’ paranoia had only just started with Adam Walsh - and video games were huge but the internet wouldn’t be a thing until we were hitting college. Was a weird time - at least now when my kids needed help I could get them to a Dr. with the same copay as their MD - that change was sorely needed.

11 Likes

Which is understandable for many Boomers, since many states had homophobic laws on the books… Not like they were just hiding it for funnsies. Being out had real consequences up to fairly recently, especially from the 1950s onwards.

17 Likes

Last year, for my daughter.

‘Generations’ are a divisionary marketing construct, as others here have already mentioned.

9 Likes

YES.

Considering that being openly gay between just after WWII until the mid-60’s (and again in the 80’s) would have gotten you blacklisted from most jobs, ostracized from your community, or in some cases worse.

(Hands @Mindysan33 a frosty cold beverage of their choice)

… which makes this ‘tail end of Gen-X’ enby feel old. (kids, lawn, etc. :smiley: )

(I was too young to really understand just how horrible the Reagan Years were until I really got into my 30’s and started seeing history repeat itself within the 40-mumble years I’ve been alive. But it’s effects on a single mom in her 30’s trying to raise two kids on very little money was evident even to my still-forming mind.)

5 Likes