Already regretting assigning Bret Easton Ellis to review Minecraft's photorealistic texture pack

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/31/minecraft-with-ultrarealistic.html

12 Likes

I think it’s really the lighting model that gets all my applause here.

10 Likes

It’s a very clever setup – everything in the world is something from our world that’s exactly square. Nothing to break the illusion.

9 Likes

Man, I love these “Already regretting assigning…” posts :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Yes. So great.

5 Likes

Very well done, Rob! You really took me on a journey.

5 Likes

Gosh, someone could live a second life here.

3 Likes

I want to play in there but I expect it runs at 5 fps.

1 Like

I still find myself angered that the ladder texture has so many rungs on it. It’s nice that it can look like a room divider with a fancy texture pack, but that’s no excuse for something so obviously wrong.

Anything that stops the granite blocks from looking like vomit is OK by me.

There’s something deeply creepy about this one. I can’t quite put my finger on it but I think that it’s the near-complete absence of details below block size in the environment combined with the very high detail level of the textures; along with the inscrutable placelessness of the little bits you can see through the blinds and slats and such.

It isn’t really a possibility I’d considered, much less imagined in detail, prior to seeing this; but this is what a Scandinavian modern black site would look like.

3 Likes

It’s all a bit “Frank Lloyd Wright gone senile” to me…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.