Altruistic people have more sexual partners

But if you’re being altruistic to get more sex, are you truly being altruistic, or are you doing it from self-interest?

5 Likes

If the goal is to try to find the right life-partner, does this meant that altruistic people less successful at finding mates?

I think that the transactionality implied by much human sex is extremely daft. If two (or more) people are doing something together, why would one or the other feel like they are “getting away with something” rather than it being mutual? If one is trying to give more sex, is that more altruistic? Why do people act more selfishly with one of the few experiences there is actually an infinite supply of?

People are weird, and they get weirder about sex than most organisms do.

2 Likes

“people are weird”…agreed.
“weirder about sex than most organisms”…i dunno nature has some freaky shit.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you and I are equals, and we have sex, which one of us is doing the other a favor? That’s the kind of weirdness I often encounter that I am puzzled about. It seems obvious to me to assume mutuality, but it apparently isn’t for many.

3 Likes

It’s women’s fault that they aren’t getting laid enough… duh! /s

3 Likes

yeah, humans can have weird hangups around sex, and can certainly be into just about anything…ahem…rule 34…cough, cough…no argument from me there.

BUT weirder than most organisms? The defense would like to call anglerfish, preying mantis, black widows, flat worms, garden snails, bedbugs, sea hares, squids, argonauts, etc. to the stand.

4 Likes

Number of sexual partners doesn’t necessarily equate level of sexual attractiveness. You can be gods gift to men/women yet never shag anyone.

Just for the hell of it I’ll turn the argument on its head; Altruism makes people more naive, they are therefore more likely to take a chance when forming intimate relationships. Unfortunately these poorly founded liasions do not last and as a consequence an altruists frequently find themselves back on the market again.

3 Likes

Or more charitably:

“Altruistic people more willing to dispense sexual healing.”

4 Likes

Congratulations, altruism is now impossible.

1 Like

Only if you let others dictate how you live and socialize. You might have a fight on your hands.

The wife.

1 Like

No, I disagree.

Abused people have substantially more sexual partners than non-abused people. A sexualized society and the saturated selling of sex increases human sexual tendencies. Altruistic people want society to work, so, hence, more sex in their lives. Advertisers want to sell products, and sex sells, so saturated selling of sex is sanctified. Seriously, just look around. Or don’t you see it anymore?

drops mike

Ha, I was thinking of The State! A spouse makes more sense. Although various people still have different levels of exclusivity, even in marriage. Being committed to a monogamous relationship can be a great thing, although I suspect that more people feel pressured into monogamy than undertake it by choice. In any case, the honesty is crucial.

I had an ex get jealous with me over somebody else who they invited into bed with us. Honesty with oneself is just as important as honesty with one’s partners.

2 Likes

And considering how some other organisms handle sex… I’m ok with us being different than most organisms.

3 Likes

"Altruistic people have more sexual partners"
Bah humbug, is all I can say to that :frowning:

Obligatory:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.