Amanda Palmer's Art of Asking: art for the crowdfunding age

[Permalink]

On the ennpeearr, too

My God, it has been almost two hours and none of the AFP haters ranting about paying musicians have shown up to comment yet!

3 Likes

Paying musicians, you say?

Thanks for living up to expectations. I expected no less.

3 Likes

I fixed it, cause I’m a dumbass

1 Like

Thenk yew…I’ve been a fan since Dresden Dolls opened for Edward Ka-Spel all those years ago. She embodies my dual loves of Kurt Weill show tunes and exquisitely insane women.

:smile:

[quote=“doctorow, post:1, topic:45818”]
No one bats an eye at the idea that musicians should pay to perform, nor do they balk at the idea that they should be paid to perform. But let no money change hands at all and all of our reactions are disordered.[/quote]

I think it demonstrates how much market ideology has been inculcated into everyone’s minds. Even those who “reject” market fundamentalism expect money to change hands, and when it doesn’t happen they think there must be exploitation going on.

2 Likes

Mod note: Stay on topic.

1 Like

From the article, and Cory’s words:

“I suffer from real, toss-and-turn self-recriminating anxiety about the idea that I might have given offense to someone by not including them (or not including them enough) in some social situation. It’s a self-defeating fear, one that can nearly paralyse me in crowds, self-consciously nagging at myself to smile, make eye-contact, check in with that person over on the edges and see if she or he is waiting to say something.”

We could share stories.

2 Likes

I wish I had her confidence when it came to showing my butt.

1 Like

This is like the sixth article on this book. Is it paid placement?

Maybe she just asked?

Or alternatively, from the article:

I know Palmer personally. In fact, she contributed an introduction to my new book, Information Doesn’t Want To Be Free

Incidentally, also from the article:

Before the advent of recordings and radio, literally every musician who earned a living did so by performing in front of an audience

Appears to exclude composers, arrangers, orchestrators, conductors and teachers from being ‘musicians’.

I think you’ve tried to move the goalposts a bit too far, because in the context of getting up on stage to play a song with AFP, you would in fact have to -play- a song.

That is not the context of the quote I posted; it was referring to the concept of the ‘recording artist’, as opposed to the ‘performing artist’.

The whole paragraph reads

Is there any reason to believe such artists existed? There’s certainly historical precedent. Before the advent of recordings and radio, literally every musician who earned a living did so by performing in front of an audience. The idea of a musician who was artistically brilliant, bursting with songs that would bring joy to millions, but who didn’t want to actually perform those songs in front of other people - it was as weird as the idea of a champion swimmer who didn’t want to get wet.

It’s either plain wrong, or Cory has a very very narrow view of what a ‘musician’ is.

Maybe not. It might look a bit silly to have local conductors there, but I don’t see why she couldn’t invite local composers and arrangers up on stage. Set up a little desk and a chair and whatnot.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.