Amanda Palmer's #metoo song for Judy Blume

Yes it is.

See?

Yes, I loath her and her attention whoring (happy now?). But allow me to explain:

A guy whom I have immense respect for found this person, who I’ve for a long time thought was the absolute dregs, so wonderful and brilliant that he chose to marry and start a family with her. This makes me think a) there’s no accounting for taste b) maybe she is wonderful? Have I missed something? So, in the pursuit of truth rather than fortification of my prejudices, I read what she writes when she writes in hopes of discovering that which I’ve missed (I don’t care for her music and don’t pursue that). My subjective opinion of her and her editorializing has yet to change, but I’ll continue to periodically challenge that opinion in the hopes of learning something new.

The “Then don’t read it…” philosophy would leave me without the opportunity to ever evolve my thoughts on this (or any other) matter.

As for what you or anyone else here listens to or reads, have at it. But if you participate in a forum like this you may encounter differing opinions.

Maybe you should have started with this more nuanced story then?

You hit the nail on the head here, it’s a forum, where you can exchange thoughts, your first post is the equivalent of saying “she sucks” you don’t (and still haven’t) given anyone a reason to consider your standpoint since you don’t give any reason for why she is “the absolute dregs”.

I just read the tribute she wrote and I really can’t see your point. Sure she talks about herself, the point of the tribute is that Judy’s writing changed her, it changed her personality, it changed how she views the world, it changed how she leads her life and interacts with the world. I don’t see how you can give anyone a bigger compliment for their work.

But even if she does promote herself every chance she gets, is that such a sin? Every artist has to do this to a bigger or smaller extent if they want to get noticed. And since her “brand” is mostly about “being herself” I don’t really know how she could stop promoting it without stopping to exist.

Are you jealous of her relationship with Neil Gaiman? Are you jealous of her ability to be unapologetically out there? I don’t get it.

2 Likes

Intense jealousy springs to mind.

Indeed. Some opinions are about ideas, while some are about people. The former are creditable, the latter boring. So, FFS, what do you have to say that isn’t self-agggrandizing?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.