Amazing face transplant gives firefighter new mug

True, but it will give him the freedom to go out without people freaking, because tolerance and all, I think I might have.

This is amazing and wonderful!

That said, what would be even better is a culture wherein most people, upon seeing disfiguring injuries, wondered what remarkable service that person performed for the rest of us. Hey, I can dream!

3 Likes

The difference is stunning, what an amazing achievement for medical science.

I remember watching something on TV about this when Face/Off was in theaters and people were debating the real life ethics of this type of procedure and it was concluded that your facial structure is more closely tied to your musculoskeletal structure than the actual facial skin.

Sure enough if you compar his new appearance with the pre-accident picture and it’s very similar. The weirdest part is the “youngness” of his face when contrasted with his actual age.

I actually find his before face not at all aesthetically displeasing, in face it is rather pleasant and friendly looking to me.

I know self image is tricky for anyone, let alone someone who has been through something like this, so I hope his new face brings him some comfort and increases his quality of life.

3 Likes

The concept squicks the hell out of me (never could’ve been a doctor because ewww, blood), but from the science side, this is an impressive achievement.

Live long and prosper, Mr. Hardison!

1 Like

The skin and muscles aren’t that much important for the facial features. The underlying bones are of higher importance. See face reconstruction from skull, used in forensics.

So it’s quite likely that the new face looks fairly similar to the old face.

…we need 3d printing of tissue scaffolds and populating them with stem cell derived cells…

1 Like

The article has a pic from before the accident and he doesn’t look all that different now.

Before (along with the donor):

During/After:

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.