Amazon buying dead malls to turn into fulfilment centers

Luckily there are still old timers Apple resellers outside malls. some of them started selling Apple II. All of them have other brands and are selling printers, network switches and other stuff.
And, at least the one where my Mac user friend goes has a lot of Clue.

I would not be surprised. I certainly have done as little shopping as possible since…last summer sometime, and I certainly noticed it then.

1 Like

I said it when Amazon opened its first physical bookstores a few years back, but it kind of looks like Amazon may be recapitulating the history of Sears. Sears went from being a mail-order business in the late 19th/early 20th century to being primarily a brick and mortar store chain by the mid 20th century. And finally abandoned catalog sales altogether in 1993 – literally a year before Amazon was founded.

13 Likes

The new Oldmobiles are in early this year.

5 Likes

The local Showcase Cinema was a victim of the COVID lockdown, and now is being turned into an Amazon warehouse.

http://word.emerson.edu/fall20jr102-03/2020/11/19/a-revered-movie-theater-is-sold-as-amazon-seeks-to-create-a-second-property/

4 Likes

Argos was ahead of that curve.

1 Like

You do realize that people work in these warehouses, yes? It’s not all magic robots, it’s overworked, underpaid, insecure human beings.

9 Likes

It struck me that Amazon could take advantage of the layout of their new fulfilment centers to allow the public to actually walk in and look at the items they might like to buy. They could even make a bit more money by selling food and drinks, maybe set up a few massage chairs, places for kids to play, etc.

… So you’re saying they could turn it back into a Mall? Seems like that model already failed…

1 Like

I have NO idea, but wouldn’t the use of Amazon fulfilment centers as traditional malls cause their insurance rates to skyrocket?

1 Like

We can call them Mushrooms.

7 Likes

I’d also like to see them install some Tim Hunkin fulfilment centre machines for the kiddies y’know, to see if they got what it takes to toil away in the bowels of Amazon forever.

https://www.timhunkin.com/a225_fulfilment-center.htm

2 Likes

I almost peed my pants on reading that!

1 Like

“Is it funny?”

“Depends.”

so basically, amazon just reinvented the general store. only now, our horses are electric

2 Likes

If George comes back, I think it’s the beginning of the zombie apocalypse

Yeah, kinda like Sears and Roebuck destroyed it

1 Like

CompassionateLongDuck-max-1mb

4 Likes

And I feel like I’m always in the way at WF, as though I came to buy my own groceries just to be frivolous. But then, I felt the exact same way in a Kroger the other day.

2 Likes

The Cupertino store may be an exception. The one in Santa Clarita is (still) rather “homey” and of ‘normal’ supermarket size. Now… if you ever get to visit Wegman’s Supermarket in Wilkes-Barre, PA, wear good walking shoes. Photo is just a small portion of one aisle devoted just to beers (and there’s another beer aisle). Fulfillment of beer fantasies:

1 Like

How many of these malls are dead because of Amazon to begin with?

2 Likes