Amazon drivers hang phones in trees to game delivery software

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/01/amazon-drivers-hang-phones-in.html

1 Like

I don’t think Amazon sees it that way.

Besides, they’re only screwing each other, not Amazon.

Update: and, game over:

“The street finds a way”, until the boardroom notices. Then the boardroom squashes the street.

9 Likes

It’s just possible something is wrong with an economy that pits a company’s own workers against each other. /s

Also, talk about taking phone tree too literally.

28 Likes

Note to self:

if you lose your phone, go check the trees near the Amazon warehouse for a free replacement.

13 Likes

Next they will be hanging the phones from quadcopters hovering one metre from the local cell tower, beating the competition by the requisite 0.01 milliseconds.

9 Likes

I will be shooting at these.

5 Likes

Now, don’t shoot if you aren’t prepared to eat it.

21 Likes

Bezos is a robber baron. I’m sure he approves of workers fighting workers, That way they don’t focus on how awful Amazon treats its employees.

16 Likes

22 Likes

In other Amazon news…

16 Likes

Seems trivial to defeat, and you can see that they aren’t motivated to do anything about it.

Motorcycle delivery people in South Korea carry 3 or 4 phones simultaneously. I asked if they are for different delivery networks. He answered no, they are all connected to the same dispatch app. The more phones he has, the more jobs he nabs, he says. That was years ago, and still delivery people carry multiple phones on a panel on their dashboard, so the dispatchers aren’t motivated to fix this. They get their deliveries dispatched to eager beavers just the same.

9 Likes

For a long time in my state, tow trucks basically fought over jobs. They monitored ambulance and police frequencies and drove out to try to get jobs. So then our state government brought in an allocation system but the tow operators worked out that it was basically a round robin, It looped around between operators, so after completing a job, the operator would make a few fake calls, sending their competitors off on wild goose chases, and bringing them closer to a paying job.

7 Likes

Are they really workers or are they independent contractors with no benefits?

6 Likes

Schrodinger’s labor extraction.

We call them employees for PR reasons until that’s financially inconvenient, then they’re independent contractors. Or people we’ve never seen in our lives.

17 Likes

If you shoot it, you’ll make noise, and likely commit a firearms violation.

May I suggest some string with a few weights attached to tangle the blades? You could probably even figure out a slingshot bolo round…

6 Likes

A simple HERF made out of an old microwave oven probably would fuck them up real bad too.

4 Likes

Gig economy workers getting screwed over by the richest man in the world.

I’m sure they’ll get in big trouble for trying to maximize the amount of their low wages.

2 Likes

Can’t even imagine what archeologists will think in 1000 years.

“It was a shrine to the Nokia god.”

7 Likes

I was aiming for Mad-Maxy children inexplicably wearing furs wielding scrap built physical weaponry, but if you want to go cyberpunk/techno apocalypse, that works for me too.

3 Likes

Or bald eagles.

They’d be fun to have around.

3 Likes