Amazon employees snapped up NYC real estate before headquarters announcement

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/11/20/amazon-employees-snapped-up-ny.html

4 Likes

I am so glad Amazon did not come here.

16 Likes

Smart move. Property around the Crystal City Va. area is platinum now. It was already gold.

1 Like

Interesting. It’s illegal to engage in insider trading, but I don’t think there are any laws on insider property buying.

IIRC home sales are public records… Maybe it would be possible to detect a possible office opening through monitoring of residential housing purchases?

3 Likes

Christ, what assholes.

Christ what RICH assholes.

Christ, what late-stage capitalists.

9 Likes

Just like the railroad barons and executives did in the 1800s. And no doubt many examples before then.

4 Likes

I doubt the news was generally announced inside the company. Was it just a special high-level grapevine?

If I was one of the people slated to be transferred, but didn’t get advance warning of the location, I’d be pissed off.

7 Likes

They passed on San Diego, and good riddance to them.

4 Likes

Once a company decides to move people, I should imagine things start into the pipeline as soon as possible since there have to be “boots on the ground” to make the entire dance come off at all.

1 Like

Well it usually isn’t JUST the high level people in the know. They have admin assistants etc. And many of them smoke. And spend time hanging out with the other smokers. The saying in my office is that if my co-worker ever quit, I’d have to start smoking because otherwise we would NEVER know what is going on.

5 Likes

You’re spot on more than you think! Look at the photo of Bezos again on BB’s post page and tell me if you don’t agree: that’s not a contact lens, that’s a miniature monocle!

1 Like

My spouse is an EA and privy to very high level corporate strategy info. Typically super-secret projects come with confidentiality agreements that promise termination if leaked. Not to say it doesn’t happen but infosec is probably as good or better than government sector

1 Like

Anyone wanting an advance heads-up on Amazon’s plans could have watched all the possible cities for a selective spike in real estate sales.

I am quite certain some enterprising stock trader is doing just that. The lengths those people go to read tea leaves is insane.

1 Like

Then maybe stop being an Amazon affiliate?

1 Like

They certainly will be now

So, if this is so terrible, why do you support Amazon through affiliate links?

That’s like, two blocks from where I used to live. I hope my old landlord, Fred still owns his building.