In secret meeting 3 weeks ago, Intelligence Chairman told rich and powerful people to prepare for pandemic

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/19/in-secret-meeting-3-weeks-ago.html

12 Likes

Alas, they all forgot to buy toilet paper.

8 Likes

Everyone who was at that meeting should be investigated by the SEC for potential insider trading.

Definitely!

48 Likes

tenor-5

Bastards.

27 Likes

Should they? That sound like an insider-trading situation to my ears.

3 Likes
13 Likes

Insider trading? Their actions definitely resulted in loss of life. That’s fatal criminality on a large scale.

I have an idea that’s a little more 1793.

33 Likes

It certainly seems awful, but three weeks ago the pandemic angle wasn’t particularly secret. China had been churning long enough that the State Department had already issued a do not travel advisory, the US had its first person to person transmission and that was around the time of the first reported community transmission. Go ahead and nail them all to the wall for insider trading, but that piece of the news isn’t shocking.

16 Likes

It seems to me there is an air of tragedy about situations like this. I don’t mean the pandemic, and I mean “tragedy” in it’s dramatic or philosophical sense. It’s the inevitability, that you can see coming from a long distance, like a slow-motion train-wreck. These greedy characters stab each other in the back and commit all kinds of nefarious deeds in order to climb the greasy pole; but when they reach the top, there is inevitably a situation where they have to appear good, righteous, morally upstanding. And that’s the point when the nefarious deeds start to unravel. They are doomed. Even they should be able to see that they are doomed, now. It’s just a matter of time.

14 Likes

May those rich people die in poverty. Coronavirus is too good for them.

5 Likes

I badgered my retired relatives into selling enough stock for a few years of their expenses on the first day of the crash. That’s not insider trading. It’s paying attention to what’s going on in the world and not living in a fantasy world where you, or your country, are somehow special.

You didn’t need access to any special, super secret government information to make that judgement. If you actually read what the relevant medical authorities are saying, and you don’t think you’re special, the conclusions were pretty obvious, even back then.

8 Likes

except when that very same government is saying “don’t worry” to the public and “watch out” to a group which costs $10,000 to join.

30 Likes

Came to say the same thing, qualified by #notinthistimeline, sadly

2 Likes

You don’t want a selloff to happen before you can selloff.

7 Likes

Fight_Club__Jack__I'm_Jacks_completelack_of_surprise_021

11 Likes

Exactly. In my eyes that’s the true crime. It was happening at the same time the President (ino) was telling the country that this is nothing to worry about, all news to the contrary is fake, we are on top of it, and it will go away. Sure, if you believed him you’re a sucker, like anyone who has believed anything he has said, but we have an enormous number of suckers seeded among us.

12 Likes

<Under-used GIF of 2020>

3 Likes

Bezos’ sell off was about 2 weeks before the meeting. Could be a coincidence, or it could be that multiple meetings among powerful people occurred. But honestly WHO gave a situation report on Feb 1 that was sufficient to understand where this could be going.

6 Likes

Like Trading Places but with more plague.

8 Likes

Is it too early to gather wood for the public executions by burning? You know what, I’ll just start gathering the wood in neat piles so we’re ready when it’s time.

5 Likes