CNBC analyst Rick Santelli wants entire world to be infected with coronavirus to help Wall Street

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/06/cnbc-analyst-rick-santelli-wan.html

10 Likes

It’s funny, because I want all of Wall Street to be infected with coronavirus to help the world.

40 Likes

Classic “OK Boomer” moment.

17 Likes

I can’t even go along with this, because that would put too many actual human beings at risk. But damn, it is tempting. (trying to keep evil at bay)

17 Likes

In cases of severe infection the infected person needs oxygen or a respirator to stay alive. If everyone were infected the same day, the hospitals would not have enough beds to help these severe cases. If the rate of infection is low and cases are spread out over time, hospitals may have a better chance of saving more severe cases.

39 Likes

Fuck the stock market fuck the economy and fuck this asshole.

I’d rather the economy come back to reality then people dying so some rich worthless fuck can make another buck of my labor

25 Likes

16 Likes

I hope that Wall Street continues these practices:

17 Likes

You can practically see the gears in his brain forming the thought “only poors will be affected, the wealthy are safe by virtue of their sheer economic badassness.”

Imagine this dudes utter horror when the CDC reminds the public that viruses can not be paid off by obscene wealth. On second thought, let’s not tell them that.

21 Likes

Yeah, that struck me as well - beyond the Darwinian fuckedness of it all, this is incredibly dumb. Many people getting sick at once is a serious, disruptive problem that could kill a lot of people (even beyond issues of availability of ventilators and hospital bed space) and that they’re specifically trying to avoid. Everyone getting sick at once, even if it’s just temporarily disabling most people, even if some people are healthy enough to continue working is an economy-destroying event. It takes a surprisingly small percentage of the population being suddenly unable to work to cause the society to come grinding to a halt. Basic services get shut down, food doesn’t make its way to urban areas, etc.

The death toll from preventable causes would be staggering.

The irony is, if he got what he’s proposing, the economy would be super fucked. He’s advocating something that would work contrary to how he thinks it would work because he’s not just an asshole, but also a moron.

29 Likes

I’d be willing to act as the viruses’ middle-man for a healthy (non-refundable) commission.

7 Likes

“But Prince Prospero was happy and dauntless and sagacious. When his dominions were half depopulated, he summoned to his presence a thousand hale and light-hearted friends from among the knights and dames of his court, and with these retired to the deep seclusion of one of his crenellated abbeys. This was an extensive and magnificent structure, the creation of the prince’s own eccentric yet august taste. A strong and lofty wall girdled it in. This wall had gates of iron. The courtiers, having entered, brought furnaces and massy hammers and welded the bolts.”

– Edgar Allan Poe: The Masque of the Red Death

26 Likes

I don’t want to advocate for this guy, or anyone, to get the virus… but I also would be ok with an ad campaign with his face above the words “do not sell this man facemasks or disinfectants”.

8 Likes

So is this life imitating art, or vice versa? It’s damn near impossible to tell these days.

3 Likes

OT, but is it time for a Space Ghost revival yet?

4 Likes

There is precedent in the 14th century. As the Black Death swept the cities, the wealthy fled to their villas in the country. It may have worked, for some of them.

7 Likes

giphy (40)

25 Likes

I can’t give enough likes for the Masque of the Red Death.

But I take Santelli’s comment a little bit differently than others. I don’t feel like it comes from contempt for people, I think it comes from panic. It made me immediately think of “bug chasers” - gay men who intentionally tried to contract HIV during the AIDs epidemic to “get it over with”.

The idea that we should just infect every, have some percentage of people die, and get it over with sounds to me like a desperate cry for help from a terrified person who just doesn’t want to feel so scared anymore.

17 Likes

You are far kinder and gentler than I. Live long and prosper!

19 Likes

giphy (39)

15 Likes