Winner of the creepiest Covid-19 tweet goes to this gentleman

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/23/winner-of-the-creepiest-covid.html

13 Likes

May be people will realise it’s not a bug, it’s a feature.

14 Likes

Arbeit macht frei

36 Likes

this is the whole “if the cure is worst than the disease” in a nutshell.

It is worse for the rich and powerful to lose their riches and their power than for several million people to suffer hugely in pain and then die.

Fucking.

General.

Strike.

51 Likes

This is the tweet in question:

The Show Full Post option shows a different tweet which is a little unintentionally misleading.

11 Likes

Not one hour ago the President of the United States stood at a podium to mock doctors for advising such extreme measures to slow the pandemic:

“If it were up to the doctors, they’d say let’s shut down the entire world. This could create a much bigger problem than the problem that you started out with.”

I really thought our country would manage to hold out at least a couple weeks before proposals to cull the weak from the gene pool started going mainstream.

70 Likes
20 Likes

WE. ARE. SO. FUCKED.

I was hoping for a shiv to appear onstage. I was disappointed.

17 Likes

What add fury to the story is that this asshole seems to have convinced Trump that profits trump well, little people - the 99% ers. Trump tweets are already hinting…

18 Likes

The Mammonite death cult will not give up on their worldview and rationalizations without piles of bodies. It is just a question of whose bodies.

29 Likes

You can already find the rationalizations coming from the right on why sending people back to work quickly is really in everyone’s best interests: “if poor people stay home they’ll just get depressed/suicidal/unable to meet their basic needs and a bunch of them will die anyway, so we might as well do what’s best for the economy.”

Here’s an article study the Federalist did, just seeing what the numbers look like if we let a few hundred thousand people die. And the Federalist isn’t even one of the more batshit right-wing publications.

22 Likes

Apparently this is the new position of the right, so expect to hear a lot more of this until it becomes the White House’s official position. When they realize that 30 and 40 year old men are dropping dead, they might change their position, but I’m not counting on it.

Or even with. I remember some poll done before Trump was elected, where about half of respondents thought Trump would start a nuclear war if elected. The thing was (and I forget the exact number), but something like a quarter of his own supporters thought he would. They literally believed he’d end human life on Earth, but they were still going to vote for him.

32 Likes

Did you listen to the Orange One’s speech today? His position seemed to be “we won’t let our precious dollars be hurt, this will be over ASAP”.

And then of course he tossed some gas on the Chloroquine fire, as if there isn’t already a run on it across the country.

One can really see the effects of the rich getting worried about their money and putting pressure on the government to fix the problem (with their cashflow) ASAP. IIRC this is why the Senate Democrats have been pushing back on the stimulus bills–they’re largely a handout to the rich and will do little to help regular people.

22 Likes

Why is it that no one who wants to kill people to stimulate the economy is willing to die first?

“Some of you will die, but that is a sacrifice I am willing to make.”

28 Likes

28 Likes

He deleted the tweet because people were “triggered”.

25 Likes

It’s even worse than that. This is “Oh hey, we can finally solve that Social Security deficit! We just gotta get people to cut it out with the whole social distancing thing.”

I assume he is the kind of high power executive type that has not visited his parents in years.

13 Likes

The Hoover Institution receives nearly half of its funding from private gifts, primarily from individual contributions, and the other half from its endowment. Funders of the organization include the Taube Family Foundation, the Koret Foundation, the Howard Charitable Foundation, the Sarah Scaife Foundation, the Walton Foundation, the Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation, and the William E. Simon Foundation. According to the Center for Responsive Politics (opensecrets) the Hoover Institution gave 94% of donations to Republican candidates during the 2016 election cycle.

Quite a few of the Usual Suspects there.

16 Likes

if his parents are decent people it is prolly at their request.

11 Likes

His follow-up tweets aren’t much better.

Take this tweet about the problem Italy is facing: a medical system that was so utterly overwhelmed by a flood of new patients that doctors have to make difficult decisions about which lives to save. Somehow he sees this as evidence that we SHOULDN’T take extreme measures to slow the spread of the virus in our own country, because reasons.

What an asshole.

23 Likes