Right-wing websites are weighing the pros and cons of letting people die from coronavirus to help the economy

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/24/right-wing-websites-are-weighi.html

7 Likes

These calls to cull the weak for the sake of the economy are coming after the country has been on limited social isolation for barely a week.

What will these sociopaths be calling for in a month?

Here’s a video of the Lt. Governor of Texas calling upon grandparents to lay down their lives in the name of their descendants’ stock portfolios:

26 Likes

28 Likes

I’ll say it – they are fucking nazis.

43 Likes

220px-A_Modest_Proposal_1729_Cover

41 Likes

What makes these idiots think hundred of thousands or millions of dead people won’t negatively impact the economy? What makes them think this virus won’t impact the economy even if the US does nothing in response to this? Have they forgotten in a week that the stock market was crashing before there was even a case in the US?

What the ever loving fuck.

47 Likes

So at 9 million per person we should kill a billionaire in sacrifice for every 100 deaths or so? That will balance things out. Am I doing this right?

53 Likes

News flash: the virus doesn’t care.

“Dying for freedom” is an honorable cause when you’re fighting oppression, either at home or on the beaches at Normandy and Guadalcanal, but if you die from a virus you’re helping the virus spread.

20 Likes

Your math checks out. Please proceed with operation “virus-billionaire”.

21 Likes

If only there were some 14 word mantra that they could recite so that they could even last two weeks.

3 Likes

“If they would rather die,” said Scrooge , “they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population .”

It is quite something to go on TV or the Internet and turn yourself into a Dickens villain in 2020.

20 Likes

There’s kind of a glorious self-own in that calculating human lives as being worth, on average $125K per year. He’s literally saying that most people in this country make less income than the value they produce.

32 Likes

So let’s track this together. As I post, we need to “free” 6 billionaires. To keep it fair they should be selected randomly.

Here’s a thought, is there a volcano we could chuck them into? Perhaps sending a little something to Fire God would help!

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

10 Likes

That sort of absolutism isn’t helpful either. The flu is far less deadly, but should we go into isolation each year to save lives?

Cost/benefit shouldn’t be the sole way to make such a decision, but neither should it be totally ignored. It’s just one of the many pros and cons that should be weighed.

1 Like

Logan’s Run, anyone?

I notice that this reasoning leads nicely into a very old Republican priority: getting rid of Social Security and Medicare. That’s a lot of money that could better be spent on cutting capital income taxes and even wage taxes for high earners. That, and of course lots of weaponry.

13 Likes

“It is quite something to go on TV or the Internet and turn yourself into yet another a Dickens villain in 2020.”

Fixed that for you. No need to thank me, I do it for the love of the game.

11 Likes

Just off the phone with the “Fire God” [I call him/her Fire for short], looks like that would only piss them off more. So it’s a hard pass from the Fire God.

6 Likes

So much for the Pay-per-view side deal I had going.

My best to Fire God!

7 Likes

I am old enough to remember the controversy surrounding Gov “Gloom” Dick Lamm back in the 80’s and how conservatives went batshit over his “duty to die” comments. Apparently this is now considered economic policy for the GOP. Fucking hypocrites!

6 Likes

giphy

14 Likes