Republican Senator dumped ~$1.5m in stock before crash, while reassuring public that coronavirus was no big deal

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/19/republican-senator-dumped-1-5.html

1 Like

This dude is angling to be the most hated Burr since the mofo who shot Hamilton.

34 Likes

Don’t worry, he already is here :slight_smile:

16 Likes
30 Likes
27 Likes

But should the original Burr be that hated? Gore Vidal seemed to find him admirable. It’s just the musical that made Hamilton a hero.

6 Likes
11 Likes

giphy

29 Likes

AND this was AFTER he warned a small group of $$$$ constituents/donors about exactly how bad he thought it was going to get.

17 Likes
20 Likes

Oh, that’s what’s in my saddle?

4 Likes

I suspect it would be fairly tough to make a case for insider trading. As far as I can tell, he didn’t have access to information that wasn’t available elsewhere. Would the government downplaying the information make it actionable?

This seems more akin to companies downplaying publicly available bad news while at the same time panicking about it in the boardroom.

No, I don’t think insider trading would fly.

I’m thinking more like negligent homicide.

Not that they’ll ever face charges. But ethically? Absolutely.

5 Likes

Clearly not just the musical or he wouldn’t have managed to get on the ten dollar bill.

Granted the musical didn’t hurt. Easily the best stage adaptation of an old “Got Milk?” commercial I’ve ever seen.

6 Likes

NO. This is LITERALLY THE VERY DEFINITION OF INSIDER TRADING.

I’ve spent the last 20 years at the top financial services provider in the US. This is literally the exact example given for literally all the training we go through every year.

34 Likes

Okay, I’ll take your word for it. It just seemed odd that I’d been reading the same thing they were briefed about in the previous weeks.

2 Likes

Andrew Jackson’s on the twenty after all. What people thought about politicians in the early twentieth century didn’t necessarily age well. In fact, before the musical, it was Hamilton who was scheduled to be be replaced by an undetermined woman, but granted Jackson is also worth replacing.

6 Likes

9 Likes

Even the right-wing pundits are turning on this guy. Not good for a Republican to be in Fox News’ crosshairs.

8 Likes

Why is it significant that both are in that sketch?

17 Likes

That’s just the chef’s kiss of homicidal corruption.

Presumably he had specific details on how (poorly) prepared the US government was, information which he absolutely was not passing on to his constituents - quite the opposite.

Edit: I mean, he was getting literally classified information about all this.

14 Likes